Twenty Six

Two months had went by since Lapis had gotten upset at Peridot. This fight brought them closer together, yet Lapis still didn't feel right. There was something in her mind, but she just couldn't put her finger on it.

The blue gem watched as Peridot tried to measure the giant hole in the wall, she was set on fixing it. Lapis told her several times that she wouldn't be able to, but this just pushed Peridot even more. "Hmm.. how would we even get the wood to stay together?" Peridot asked, looking over her shoulder at Lapis.

"Dunno." Lapis shrugged, looking up at Peridot from where she was sitting. "Well maybe you would if you would help me!" Peridot said, pointing to the hole. "Peri I'm not up for this right now." Lapis replied, hugging her knees to her chest.

Peridot sighed and took a seat next to Lapis. "Is something bothering you, Lazuli?" The green gem asked, placing a hand on Lapis' blue shoulder. "No." Lapis said, blushing at the soft touch.

"Are you sure? It seems like something has been bothering you lately." Peridot said, pushing hair out of the ocean gem's face. "Yeah, I'm okay." Lapis smiled, taking Peridot's hand in her own. "Okay, but if there is anything wrong you'd tell me correct?" Peridot asked, squeezing Lapis' hand gently.

Lapis nodded in response, looking at the floor. Peridot began to talk about how she was going to fix the barn, which bored Lapis. The water gem began to tune Peridot out, absorbed in her own thoughts.

The blue gem tried to think of what could be eating at her, but nothing came to mind. She tried to think back to her and Peridot's little fight, maybe there was something there. Lapis tried to recall what was said, hoping maybe whatever was bothering her would turn up there.

"W-why haven't we fused yet?"

Lapis felt her heart skip a beat or two, could this be what was bothering her?

Fused..

The word, the whole question itself! That was what had been bothering Lapis! The blue gem felt relief wash over her, smiling.

The question had originally upset Lapis, she wondered why Peridot would dare to say such a thing. But now she found herself wondering.. wondering why she didn't want to fuse with Peridot. Her and Peridot wouldn't be trapped, they'd be free.

Lapis rubbed her eyes, glancing at Peridot. She really did love the green gem, she could only imagine how hurt Peridot was when Lapis got upset at her. But Lapis couldn't help it, every time she heard the word fusion it caused her to panic.

Maybe it wasn't the memory of being trapped, maybe Lapis just wasn't ready yet. That's what the blue gem liked to think at least. 'Maybe I'm still not ready..' Lapis thought, hugging her knees closer.

'But Peridot is. Why aren't I?' The ocean gem said to herself. This would take time to think about, Lapis didn't want to fuse if she wasn't ready. But she also didn't want to keep Peridot waiting.

"So what do you think, Lazuli? Does it sound like a good idea?" Peridot's voice caused Lapis to jump. The blue gem wasn't listening to a word Peridot said. "Oh um.. yes." Lapis replied, smiling.

"I knew you would think so." Peridot grinned, planting a kiss on Lapis' cheek. "Well I guess you were right." Lapis blushed. "I'm always right." Peridot smirked, winking at Lapis.

Lapis chuckled and rested her head on Peridot's shoulder. The green gem wrapped an arm around Lapis' waist, pulling her closer. Lapis hummed happily and closed her blue eyes.

About ten minutes had passed by until Lapis heard Peridot's soft snores. The water gem smiled and opened her eyes, now she could think in peace. She would need to make up her mind soon, she didn't want to make Peridot wait.

'Am I ready? Do I feel as if I'm ready to fuse with someone again?' Lapis asked herself, looking at the sleeping Peridot. The blue gem felt her face heat up, her feelings for Peridot were ones of pure love. It's not like she'd have to keep Peridot and herself trapped, so she had that going for her.

Lapis shuddered at the memory of being in a fusion with Jasper. Endless fighting, emotional trauma, suffering, misery, that's what being in a fusion with Jasper was like. The ocean gem knew that being in a fusion with Peridot would be different, but she couldn't help but feel scared.

Peridot didn't want to hurt anyone though, she simply wanted to fuse with Lapis. Lapis looked at Peridot, who was in a deep sleep. "I really do love you.." The ocean gem whispered, gently touching Peridot's face.

Lapis sighed, this was hard for her to decide. But it wasn't all what Lapis wanted, it was what Peridot wanted too. The blue gem didn't want to sound selfish.

'Peridot really loves me too..' Lapis told herself. The ocean gem watched as Peridot stirred in her sleep. Suddenly everything came clear to Lapis.

"I need to do this, for you. I need to do it for me... for us." Lapis said, cuddling close to Peridot. "Mmm... what?" Peridot asked sleepily. The green gem opened her eyes, yawning.

Lapis took a deep breath, this is was it. The ocean gem pulled away from Peridot, sitting in front of her. Her blue eyes met Peridot's green eyes.

"Peridot."

"Yes Lazuli?"

"I... I want to fuse with you."