Thirty Six

One more week.

That was it, one more week until it was time for the gemlings to hatch.

Lapis sat, staring at the basket. The blue gem turned her head when she heard footsteps behind her. It was just Peridot.

"Where did you go?" Lapis asked as the green gem took a seat next to her. "I heard people, so I followed the sound. They were just walking by, I think." Peridot replied. "Oh, well I missed you." Lapis said, giving Peridot a hug.

"I missed you too Lazuli, but I'm pretty sure I offered for you to come with me. You were set on staying here." Peridot chuckled, hugging Lapis back. "I don't remember that." Lapis said. "You probably weren't listening then." Peridot smiled.

"It's okay, I'm glad I stayed. We can't leave the geodes alone." Lapis said, letting go of Peridot. "I suppose you're right." Peridot said, smiling at the basket. "One more week, Peri. One more week and it won't be just us here." Lapis smiled, planting a kiss on Peridot's cheek.

"I know, you've been telling me at least once a day." Peridot chuckled. "Oh yeah, silly me." Lapis giggled. Peridot smiled and gently kissed Lapis' cheek.

"My silly Lazuli." The small gem grinned. Lapis leaned against the green gem, sighing happily. Peridot looked at Lapis, wrapping an arm around her.

"I'm just so excited, I can't stop thinking about it." Lapis said. "Oh I know, you can't stop talking about it either." Peridot chuckled. "Sorry." Lapis blushed.

"It's fine Lazuli, I was only playing." Peridot said. "O-oh, okay." Lapis said, her blush darkening. Peridot gave the other gem a gentle kiss on the cheek.

"You know Lazuli, I never thought gems were supposed to feel this way." Peridot said, blushing. "But with you it's different, and I just wonder why I feel this way about only you." The green gem continued.

"I don't know Peri, but I sure am glad you feel this way about only me." Lapis said, a tiny smile gracing her lips. Peridot pecked the ocean gem's cheek again. "Geez Peri, what's up with you tonight? This is an awful lot of smooches." Lapis giggled.

"It's just one of those nights where I notice your beauty and how much you mean to me, I suppose." Peridot blushed. "You're too sweet." Lapis blushed, kissing Peridot's forehead. "I'm being honest, sometimes the affection I hold for you gets stronger." Peridot replied.

Lapis smiled and cuddled close to the little gem. "I love you so much." The water gem whispered. "I love you too Lazuli." Peridot said, smiling back.

"I'm glad I decided to stay here on Earth." Lapis said. "I am too." Peridot said, looking up at the ceiling. "I can't imagine what would happen if I didn't stay." Lapis said, voice hushed.

"I would've been very alone, that's what." Peridot chuckled. "I don't want you to be alone, ever." Lapis said. "I'm not alone." Peridot replied.

"I'm glad you know that." Lapis smiled. The blue gem glanced over at the basket, then at Peridot. There was obvious excitement in her blue eyes.

"You really can't wait, huh?" Peridot laughed. Lapis shook her head and buried her face in the crook of Peridot's neck. Peridot smiled and looked at the basket.

"I can't either." Peridot then said. "You can't?" Lapis asked. "It'll be an interesting experience, having two small gems living here." Peridot smiled.

"Garnet says they are mischievous though." The green gem said. "Oh well, nothing we can't deal with I'm sure." Lapis replied. "How would Garnet know anyways?" Peridot then asked.

"She seems to know everything." Lapis said. "That's true." Peridot said with a nod. "Pearl seems to know a lot as well." The small gem added.

"Maybe they got some kind of education, I don't know." Lapis chuckled. "Maybe." Peridot shrugged. "Oh well, it doesn't really matter." The little gem said.

"When the gemlings hatch, are they gonna have to be here?" Lapis asked. "No, but I can't stop them from showing up." Peridot replied. Lapis yawned and snuggled closer to Peridot.

"Are you tired?" The green gem asked. "A little, but I'm okay." Lapis said. "We can sleep." Peridot said.

"No." Lapis quietly replied. "Well let's at least sit on the mattress, sitting on the floor isn't comfortable." Peridot said. Lapis followed her to the mattress, cuddling close to her again.

"So those people you saw, what exactly were they doing?" Lapis asked. "It appeared they were just going for a stroll." Peridot said. "Oh." Lapis said.

Peridot then lay down. Lapis lay with her, smiling. The ocean gem cuddled as close as she possibly could to Peridot.

Peridot closed her green eyes, planting a soft kiss on Lapis's forehead. Lapis buried her face into Peridot's neck.

"I'm going to sleep, goodnight Lazuli. I love you very much." Peridot yawned. "I love you too Peri." Lapis whispered.

Peridot soon began to snore, but Lapis was still awake. The blue gem closed her eyes, relaxing. Soon enough she too fell asleep.