Thirty Four

The gems left shortly after everything was cleared up. Lapis and Peridot thanked them for their help, and for explaining everything.

The two gems were sitting together, both silent. Peridot looked up at Lapis, who was staring at the wall. "You okay?" The green gem asked.

"Yeah." Lapis nodded. Peridot sighed, she knew there was something on Lapis' mind. "Are you sure?" The small gem asked, brushing her hand against Lapis'

"Mhm." Lapis replied, looking at her feet. Peridot looked at the two geodes, then back at Lapis. "I'm sorry Lazuli but I don't believe you." Peridot said.

Lapis didn't answer, her eyes still on her feet. "I know when there's something wrong with you." Peridot then said. Lapis gave a small chuckle, "I guess you know me too well." She said.

"So there is something wrong. Can you tell me?" Peridot asked. Lapis looked at the green gem, shrugging. "I guess I can." The ocean gem replied rather blandly.

"It's just... are you happy?" Lapis asked. "Of course I'm happy with you Lazuli, why would you ask such a question? Are you going to leave me?!" Peridot asked, panicking. "No, no. I'd never leave you. What I meant was are you happy about this whole gemling thing?" Lapis asked.

"I.. I don't know yet. Are gemlings a good thing?" Peridot asked. "I don't know. Do you remember being a gemling?" Lapis asked, glancing at the geodes. "I wasn't made that way." Peridot reminded Lapis.

"Oh yeah, I forgot." Lapis said. "Are you happy about the gemlings?" Peridot asked. "I guess, it makes me happy to think of little versions of us running around." Lapis chuckled.

"But Lazuli I have no idea how to be a parental unit." Peridot said. "I don't either." Lapis laughed. "Then how are we going to raise gemlings?" Peridot chuckled.

"We'll have to learn." Lapis smiled. "Yeah." Peridot said, returning the smile. "So what are we gonna call them? Peridot and Lapis?" Lapis asked, laying on her back.

"But that'd be rather confusing, as I am Peridot and you are Lazuli." Peridot said, laying next to Lapis. "We could name them like humans do." Lapis suggested. "That seems like a good idea." Peridot replied.

"Can we name them Percy and Pierre?" Peridot then asked. "We are not naming our gemlings after Camp Pining Hearts." Lapis said. "Aw c'mon Lazuli." Peridot begged.

"No. Think of something else." Lapis said. "I don't know any other names." Peridot said. "Bob." Lapis suggested.

"No." Peridot said. "I'm out of names." Lapis said. "We could ask Steven." Peridot replied.

"That sounds good." Lapis smiled. "Maybe Steven will like the names Percy and Pierre." Peridot grinned. "Even if he does, we are not naming the gemlings after Camp Pining Hearts." Lapis said, rolling her eyes.

"But why not, we both like the show!" Peridot exclaimed. "As much as I like the show I don't want our gemlings to be named after it." Lapis chuckled. "Fine." Peridot sighed.

Lapis then got up, walking over to the basket the geodes were in. The blue gem sat on the floor next to it. Peridot sat up, watching.

Lapis gently took one of the geodes, looking closely at it. Peridot was now curious. The green gem joined Lapis, taking the other geode.

"It's strange Lazuli, when you first arrived here you hated me. Now look at us, we're going to have gemlings." Peridot chuckled. "Yeah.." Lapis smiled. The ocean gem stared happily at the geode, a tiny smile on her face.

Peridot couldn't help but find it adorable. Lapis really was excited, even if she wouldn't admit it. Peridot could tell.

"You seem a little excited, Lazuli." The green gem chuckled. Instead of answering Peridot, Lapis hugged the geode close to her. The blue gem closed her eyes, smiling.

This confused Peridot, why was Lapis hugging it? The gemling inside wouldn't feel it. The little gem raised an eyebrow questioningly at Lapis.

Peridot then placed the geode in her hands back in the basket. She watched as Lapis mumbled happily to the geode. It was amusing to see Lapis like this, but it was also really cute.

Lapis then opened her eyes, blushing. She gently put the geode back into the basket. "I am excited." The blue gem replied.

"It was obvious." Peridot chuckled. "I can't wait until they hatch, they're gonna have the best parents." Lapis smiled. "I don't know how to 'parent'." Peridot said.

"I don't either Peri, I just think it comes naturally." Lapis said. "Oh." Peridot said. Lapis looked at the geodes, then Peridot.

Lapis grabbed the basket and sat it next to the mattress, where she lay down. "What are you doing?" Peridot asked, following Lapis. "It's still night, and I'm tired." Lapis smiled.

"Me too." The green gem said, laying with Lapis. "But why did you bring the geodes over here?" Peridot asked. "Just to be safe. I don't want anything to come in here and mess with them. But with them next to me, I'll wake up if something comes in and messes with them. Then I'll drown that something." Lapis said.

"They haven't even hatched yet and you're already acting like this." Peridot laughed. "Because I care very much about them." Lapis replied. "What's the name humans call the female parent..... oh yes, mom! Mom Lazuli!" Peridot said, erupting into laughter.

Lapis blushed and shook her head. "They also use the terms 'mother' and 'momma'." The blue gem said. Peridot looked at Lapis, still laughing.

"Mother Lazuli! Momma Lazuli!" Peridot howled. "I don't see what's funny, but I'm glad you find this amusing." Lapis said. "Human names are so weird, how do they even come up with this stuff?!" Peridot laughed.

"I don't know, but I'm tired. Be quiet so I can sleep." Lapis yawned. Peridot stopped laughing, leaving the barn silent.

"Goodnight, Momma Lazuli."

"Oh for Diamond's sake Peridot, shut up."