Thirty One

Another week had passed, and nothing changed. Lapis still didn't feel better, in fact she was getting worse.

"How bad is it today?" Peridot asked Lapis, who was laying on the mattress. "Horrible." Lapis replied, her face in her pillow. "That's what you've been saying for the past week. I need real answers." Peridot said.

"It's the same stuff, but worse." Lapis said, lifting her face from her pillow. "So the pain is coming from and around your gem, right?" Peridot asked. "Yes." Lapis answered.

"And you still feel hot?" Peridot continued. Lapis nodded in response. "So it just feels.. worse?" Peridot asked.

"Yes Peridot." Lapis said, rolling her blue eyes. Peridot sighed and looked at the blue gem. "I seriously have no idea what to do Lazuli." She said.

"I don't either, I guess we just wait and see what happens." Lapis said, voice low. Peridot stared at the ocean gem for a moment, she didn't know what to say. "Yeah, I guess so." She finally said.

With a sigh, Lapis closed her eyes. Peridot watched, frowning. "At this point do you even care anymore?" The small gem asked.

"Not really, no." Lapis replied blandly. "You should." Peridot said as Lapis yawned. "Why?" Lapis asked.

"Because something horrible could be happening to you, and we have no idea what it is!" Peridot exclaimed. "If it was something horrible I would probably be gone by now." Lapis said coolly.

"But you don't know that Lazuli, and you should be worried." Peridot said. "I'm just sick of being in constant pain." Lapis shrugged. Peridot let out a huff of frustration, she hated when Lapis acted like this.

"Lazuli, please stop acting so childlike, this is a serious matter." Peridot said, rolling her eyes as Lapis stuck her tongue out. "Childlike? Peridot I'm simply just trying to shrug this off." Lapis smirked.

"But you shouldn't want to 'shrug it off', you should want to find out what is happening to you!" Peridot insisted. "What does it matter? I'm not worried anymore, just annoyed." Lapis said. "What does it matter?! It matters because I care, and you should too!" Peridot said, raising her voice.

"But why do you care?! It's not happening to you, so you shouldn't be worried!" Lapis said, opening one eye. "Are you serious?! I care because I love you!" Peridot shouted.

Lapis' other eye shot open, her eyes wide. Peridot looked at the blue gem, tears stinging in her eyes. "I-I guess that doesn't matter to you either." Peridot muttered, narrowing her eyes at Lapis.

"No, no Peridot. I didn't mean it, you matter to me. You matter more than anything else.." Lapis said, reaching her hand out to Peridot's. The green gem pulled her own hand away, frowning.

"You know I didn't mean it, these outbursts just keep happening and I.." Lapis trailed off. Peridot silently turned her back to Lapis, trying to hide the tears. She definitely didn't want Lapis to see her cry.

"P-Peridot..." Lapis said, gently placing a hand on Peridot's shoulder. The small gem payed no attention to it, instead she remained silent. "Don't think that you don't matter to me." Lapis said.

"You have every reason to be worried and I should be worried too, I'm-" Lapis was cut off by Peridot. "Bullshit." Peridot said, wiping away some tears. "W-what?" Lapis asked, her face flushed.

"I'm calling bullshit." Peridot said, pushing Lapis' hand off her shoulder. "Peridot..." Lapis said quietly, looking at her hand. "No, don't 'Peridot' me. I spend almost a week trying to figure out what the hell is going on with you, and you flip out on me because I care." Peridot said, turning back to face Lapis.

"You know I didn't really mean it.." Lapis said again. "Well guess what, I might just be the only one that cares! I'm trying my hardest to figure this out, and you act like this!" Peridot said, ignoring Lapis. "I know, and I'm sorry Peridot I-" Lapis said.

"You what?! You apologize and think it's going to make everything okay! You don't even realize what you said, and how much it hurt me! I really do care about you, and for you to question that just pisses me off!" Peridot yelled. Lapis stared silently for a moment, watching as more tears rolled down Peridot's cheeks. "I shouldn't have said that, no matter how fed up I am with this. I know you love and care about me Peridot, and I don't question it. And please, there's no need for swearing." Lapis said, wiping Peridot's tears.

"You're right, it doesn't matter what's going on, you shouldn't ever ask why I care about you! It's obvious!" Peridot snapped back. "And I'll swear if I want to.." She muttered.

"Please Peridot, I'm sorry. I really didn't mean it, I didn't mean to hurt you. I would never want to hurt you." Lapis said, placing her hand on Peridot's. "Whether you intended to or not, you already did." Peridot said, looking at their hands. "I didn't... and I'm so sorry." Lapis said.

After a moment of silence, Peridot sighed. She looked at Lapis, who looked back at her.

"Listen Lazuli, I love you very much. You know I can't stay mad at you. And right now I don't think we have time to fight. We need to figure out what's happening to you. Just please, don't ever say anything like that to me again. I care about you very much, and you should know why." Peridot finally said.

Lapis nodded, hugging Peridot close. "I know why, I'll never forget." She smiled. Peridot blushed and finally hugged Lapis back.

"You have no idea how hard it was for me to be that harsh to you." Peridot said. "Don't worry, you'll never have to be that harsh again." Lapis giggled. Peridot smiled, "Good." She said.

"And Peri?"

"Yes Lazuli?"

"I care, I want to figure this out."

"Those are just the words I wanted to hear."

Peridot kissed Lapis' cheek, making the water gem giggle. Lapis' blue eyes began to shine with pure affection for Peridot.

"Now, let's figure out what's hurting my Lazuli so I can destroy it.."