Forty One

"Wow, they sure are getting big." Steven smiled, chuckling as Perry jumped at him. "Not really." Lapis smiled. "Perry you get off him." The blue gem said, grabbing the gemling.

"It's okay Lapis, she just wants to play." Steven grinned. "Lazuli and I are trying to teach Perry how to listen. She's been having... issues with inflicting pain on others." Peridot said. "Oh, what do you mean by inflicting pain on others? She's so little, surely she can't do much." Steven said.

"Oh no, you're wrong." Peridot said, shaking her head. Steven looked at the green gem questioningly. "First of all, she bites. Hard. She also slaps, pulls hair, kicks, tries to eat everything, and jumps like that." Peridot explained.

"She's right Steven, Perry will not listen to us." Lapis chimed in, now holding both of the gemlings. "She's just little, she doesn't understand. Give her some time." Steven replied. "But we want her to stop now." Peridot said, emphasizing the word 'now'.

"She's actually listening pretty well right now, I think." Steven smiled. "No, she's not. Look at what she did to Lazuli before you arrived!" Peridot said. The little gem then walked over to Lapis, lifting the blue gem's arm and gesturing to her wrist.

Sure enough, there was a bite mark. "Yikes." Steven said. "Yeah, yikes. We need to put an end to this." Peridot said, gently letting go of Lapis' arm.

"Does that hurt, Lapis?" Steven asked. "It did at first." Lapis replied, awkwardly rubbing her wrist. "Oh.. I'm sure Perry didn't mean it." Steven said, looking at the gemling.

"Maybe she didn't then, but when she bit me yesterday she did!" Peridot interrupted. The green gem gestured to her arm, though there was no bite mark. "I was trying to get her to say 'clod' and she just wouldn't do it! So I picked her up and she bit me!" Peridot exclaimed.

"You will not teach her to say such things!" Lapis snapped. "That's not the point, Lazuli." Peridot groaned. "I know, but I don't want our gemlings saying that." Lapis replied.

"No need to argue guys.." Steven reminded them. "We aren't arguing, I simply do not want the gemlings to say words like clod." Lapis said, looking at Steven. "Fine, fine." Peridot muttered.

"Thank you." Lapis grinned. The ocean gem then gently kissed Peridot's cheek. "Yeah." Peridot blushed.

"Aww." Steven smiled. Lapis giggled and let go of Perry, who was trying to squirm away. "She's always on the go." Lapis giggled.

"Maybe she's excited to see me." Steven chuckled. The green gemling curiously crawled over to him. Perry sat, looking up at Steven and chirping.

"You're so cute!" Steven exclaimed, poking the gemling's cheek. "She didn't grumble at you." Peridot said. "Oh, maybe it's because I'm good at making new friends." Steven smiled.

"She always grumbles at us for doing that." Lapis said. "She didn't grumble at me." Steven replied. Suddenly Peridot gasped, eyes wide.

"You're the chosen one!" The small gem exclaimed. Steven and Lapis then erupted into laughter, along with Peridot. "I'm funny!" Peridot laughed.

This confused the gemlings. Bob tilted her head, looking up at Lapis. Perry chirped curiously.

Lapis looked down at the gemlings, laughing. "You two are way too cute." The blue gem smiled. She then picked them up and hugged them.

"Well it's nice to see you guys are enjoying life with your gemlings." Steven grinned. "We sure are." Peridot replied, a small smile gracing her lips. Lapis nodded in agreement, planting a kiss on both of the gemlings' heads.

"I love you both so much." The ocean gem cooed. Peridot smiled, scooting closer to Lapis. The two then began to smile and coo at the gemlings.

Steven sighed, watching. He really was happy for Lapis and Peridot, really. But something was bothering him, something that made him feel sad.

After a few minutes of Steven saying nothing, Lapis noticed. "Hey Steven, is everything okay?" The water gem asked. "Oh uh yeah.." Steven replied, giving Lapis a tiny smile.

"Are you sure? It looks like something is bothering you.." Lapis said. "It's nothing, really." Steven said. Lapis stared for a moment, then whispered something to Peridot.

Peridot nodded as Lapis whispered to her. "Ah, okay." The green gem said. Suddenly Peridot smiled at Steven.

"Heya Steven um.. why don't we go outside?" Peridot asked. "Um.. okay." Steven said. They walked out, Peridot giving Lapis a wink.

"So is there anything you want to talk about?" Peridot asked as they stepped outside. "Lapis put you up to this, I know she did." Steven chuckled. "That doesn't matter, we're just worried. Please tell me." Peridot said.

"It's just... I can't help but feel sad when I see you and Lapis with the gemlings." Steven sighed. "Why is that? You just said you were happy for us." Peridot said, confused. "I know, and I meant it. I just never got to know my mom.." Steven said, looking down.

"Oh.." Peridot said. "I'm really sorry Steven, we don't mean to make you feel sad." The green gem added. "I know don't, you don't need to apologize." Steven said, glancing at Peridot.

Lapis was eavesdropping, she and the gemlings were sitting by the door. 'Way to make him feel better, Peridot.' The blue gem thought as she rolled her eyes. Peridot seriously had no idea what she was doing, it was time Lapis spoke to Steven.

The blue gem walked out, gemlings crawling behind her. "Oh, hey Lapis." Steven said. Peridot gave Lapis a look that said 'Help me'.

"I heard everything, and I'm really sorry." Lapis said. "It's fine, you guys don't need to apologize." Steven said. "But we don't want you to feel this way." Peridot said.

"I'll get over it." Steven said quietly, sitting down with his back against the barn. "I just don't know how to feel.. I never got to meet her, and by the way everyone speaks of her she was amazing. Sometimes I feel like they'd rather have her here than me and I can understand that. I'm not my mom.. and I will never be like her because I'll never meet her." The boy said.

Lapis glanced at Peridot, who had a sad look on her face. The two gems then sat next to Steven. "Well, we think you're amazing." Lapis smiled.

Steven returned a tiny smile, tears forming in the corners of his eyes. "Thanks guys.." He said. Lapis frowned, she didn't like seeing Steven like this.

The ocean gem then hugged the boy. Steven hugged her back, closing his dark eyes. Peridot stared for a moment, then joined in the hug.

The gemlings curiously crawled over, cuddling close to Lapis. "See? We all love you. You're great Steven." Lapis smiled. Steven sniffled and smiled wider.

"Thanks Lapis." He grinned. "Thank all of you." He said. Lapis smiled and nodded.

"Well, I better get going or else Pearl will flip out. See you later, and thanks again." Steven said as he walked away.

"Wow Lazuli, I'm impressed." Peridot said, taking Lapis' hand. Lapis sighed and nodded, watching as Steven walked away. "Lazuli?" Peridot asked.

"Peridot, do you think Steven will be okay?" Lapis asked. "He's Steven, he'll be fine. Plus I think you did well at cheering him up." Peridot replied. "I'm just worried, I don't want him to be sad." Lapis said.

"He will be okay, I assure you." Peridot said. "Yeah?" Lapis asked. "Yeah." Peridot repeated. Lapis sighed, watching as Steven walked out of view.

"I hope so."