| VIII |

Dr. Earnhardt liked to pretend he was hopelessly insane. Of course, living on Rook Island had its effect on one's psyche, but he was very smart and very spry.

However, being smart and spry generally got one buried in the sand, doctor or no. He learned a long time ago that if Vaas didn't consider him a threat, then Vaas' boss didn't consider him a threat, and everyone was happy. He had the freedom to do mostly what he pleased, and could help people to the best of his ability under the guise of a crazy old strung out doctor.

It was difficult, considering the trade his employers were in, but he felt like he was doing his part in his own small way to ease these poor victims' suffering. More than once he'd euthanized Vaas' captives, making it seem like they'd died of their injuries. Most captives got ransomed off, but some were in for a lot worse and Earnhardt did what he had to.

This new woman was quite the enigma. He'd heard the rumours through the ranks that she'd contacted Vaas directly and come here on purpose, knowing who and what he was. It was more than a little unbelievable.

And then tonight, two pirates had stomped into his hut and dumped her on one of the beds. She was unconscious with tied wrists in a dress that had probably been pretty nice once.

After carefully untying her poor wrists and massaging them, Earnhardt tucked her into bed and then sat out on the porch with a bottle of whiskey. He wasn't sure what to do about this one.

Ashelin came to in a haze, wondering if she'd been left out in the rain

"It's okay sweetheart, just cleaning you up. I'm a doctor," a gentle voice cooed.

She turned her head slowly. There was an old man next to her at eye level. It dawned on her that she was naked in a steaming bathtub, and he gently poured water over her hair.

She couldn't help but laugh. "Are you the family physician?" Her head started to clear and she relished in the feel of the hot water on her body. Her muscles and joints had taken a beating the day before.

"Of sorts." Earnhardt was taken aback. Upon inspecting her this morning, he hadn't been terribly surprised that she'd been raped, and not gently. Yet here she was, naked in a tub next to a stranger, making jokes. He wondered if she was mentally suppressing it, and decided to tread lightly. "You're safe here."

Ashelin burst into tears.

The doctor wanted to put a hand on her shoulder, offer reassurance, but didn't think that a man touching a rape victim was wise. "I'm so sorry this happened to you-"

"My god!" she interrupted, and looked up at the ceiling, a hint of a smile playing her lips. "I'm so happy to be alive!"

He nodded. "That's a very healthy way of looking at it."

"I was so nervous, terrified even, what a rush!" she babbled, sloshing the water with her enthusiasm. "I thought for sure he was going to kill me after we fucked." She leaned her head back, closing her eyes with a contented sigh. "God."

Earnhardt gaped at her. "They raped you," he blurted, too surprised to remember how to properly deal with mental trauma.

Ashelin's head lolled lazily towards him, meeting his gaze. "No." She smiled, eyes shining. "Vaas fucked me. And it was the greatest day of my life."