| XXVI |

The following days passed by in a blur. The pink haired woman was named Yuma, and Yuma was ruthless. She took it upon herself to train Ashelin personally, and spent most days beating the shit out of her.

Ashelin held up better than she'd thought, through her masochistic nature and sheer determination. Thoughts of escape left her—Pagan's plan was her best chance.

She'd begun to think about what to do once she reached the island, and chewed over getting the help of Vaas' men. She had no idea what the state of Rook island was at this point. Had Hoyt appointed them a new leader? Were they still loyal to Vaas? Had they ever been, or had they obeyed him out of fear?

"Pay attention!" Yuma's fist connected with Ashelin's stomach and the redhead stumbled back. "Stop mooning over your pirate bitch and fight me!"

The shorter woman growled, catching her breath and launching herself at her new mentor. Yuma swatted her aside like a bug and scoffed.

"You're fucking useless," she spat, and stalked out of the courtyard.

Ashelin's head spun as she staggered to her feet, body aching, bruised, and bloodied.

"She's putting you through the ringer." Pagan strolled out from behind a pillar.

She barked a laugh. "No shit." She hadn't seen him since their dinner, almost a week prior. He was as pristine as ever, blonde hair glinting in the sun.

"You sure you don't want to just relax and wait for Ajay to get here?" he teased, raising an eyebrow. "You could have a good life here."

She licked her finger and wiped at a cut on her bicep. "If he's anything like you, I think I'd blow my brains out after two days."

"Oh, he's nothing like me." Pagan tittered. "Hence the taking over of my kingdom. I wanted to offer him everything when he first came here, and he promptly took off and joined the rebellion before I could even explain myself."

"Maybe he has daddy issues," Ashelin said wryly.

"Likely." He sighed. "It's apparent that his mother never told him about me. Or his father."

She stopped inspecting herself to look at him. "You're not his father?" He'd said Ajay was his son. But then she remembered that Yuma had referred to him as Pagan's 'retarded lovechild'.

"I would have been a better one than his own, given the chance," he said bitterly, not meeting her gaze. Sadness flicked across his expression for a split second, and then he shook it off. "Taesha will take care of your wounds. She's waiting in your bathroom."

He strode away, shoulders not as straight as usual. There was more to this man than she'd originally gleaned. But everyone had a story. She was curious but needed to focus on her own life.

Ashelin hoped this Taesha could work some magic on her body so she could stand a chance against Yuma the next day.