| XXVII |

On the ninth day, Ashelin no longer had a security detail. Her room was a lavish one with a balcony and en suite in ground jacuzzi, with multiple exits.

But she no longer thought of escape. And Pagan and Yuna obviously trusted that, considering she had no supervision anymore.

It wasn't logical to go against their plans; this was her best means to get to Vaas. When she'd spoken to Yuma about trying to recruit the Pirates, the pink haired woman had been skeptical. But Ashelin couldn't see any alternative. She needed backup. Yuma had said she'd talk to Pagan about 'putting some feelers out,' whatever that meant.

Ashelin felt that maybe she was growing on Yuma. And maybe Yuma was growing on her. She was getting stronger, but still hadn't bested her new mentor.

"I read some interesting information today," Pagan said over dinner. He'd invited her via Taesha, and it was the first time she'd seen him since that day in the courtyard.

"Oh?" Ashelin perked up, sucking back a spoonful of won ton soup. She'd been ravenous since she started pushing her body so much every day.

She hoped that maybe he'd been looking into Rook island. Maybe news of Vaas.

"I read about a horny Canadian girl that offered herself up to the pirate King." He raised an eyebrow.

"Sounds familiar," she replied dryly.

"I have a rather savvy tech department," Pagan continued. "Quite a show for your daddy. He's still giving them money."

"Whatever." She didn't meet his gaze. "My dad is a cunt."

"Tsk tsk, language, Miss Clarke," he teased. "Why so sour?"

"You could have asked me if you wanted to know how I got there." Ashelin finished her bowl of soup. "And I'm disappointed that you're telling me stuff I already know."

"You were hoping I had tactical intelligence for you regarding your crusade," Pagan said, and she wanted to smack the pretentious smirk from his perfect face. "I'm working on it. You could thank me, you know."

"Why? You kind of owe me, for buying me as a prisoner wife for your son," s he snapped.

His eyes flashed anger, and she didn't miss him absently stroke the steak knife next to his plate. She'd forgotten that she was dining with a lunatic.

She had filled her life with lunatics.

"So tell me," Pagan continued as if he hadn't been imagining her death a moment ago. "Why did you seek him out? Did you want to die spectacularly?"

Ashelin sighed. She knew better than to be anything but straight with him. "I craved the danger. I wanted an attractive, strong man to take me and use me. And I needed it to be real. No pretending, no safe words. The looming threat of death. My life was empty without this need fulfilled."

He cocked a perfectly sculpted brow. "You're speaking in past tense."

"Well, it's different now," she admitted. "I don't just crave the act anymore. It needs to be him. He's the master of my degradation."

"And if he's dead?"

"I... I don't know." Ashelin didn't want to think about it. "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it."