The Beginning

My name is La'Rayne Norway. I'm 16 and I just started my senior year in high school. 

I have a best friend and his name is Landon, he's openly gay and proud of it. Even though he doesn't have the support of his real family, my mother and I support him, and she has taken him in. So you can say that we're siblings more than we are friends. Landon and I met in middle school. I was the fat lonely girl who longed for friendship, but no one wanted to be my friend because of my appearance. One day I was on the verge of getting jumped by a girl named Ashley and her friends because I made the decision to start standing up for myself. Even though I knew the consequences of my actions, it felt good to stand up for myself. I was literally cornered and I was about to get beaten up and Landon came and saved me. Ever since then we've been stuck together. I felt like in a way if I didn't stand up for myself that day Landon and I wouldn't be friends. I'm happy I was able to have him as a friend.

 When Landon came out, his whole life flipped upside down. His family disowned him. They told him that it didn't look good to the people of the church if they found out the pastors son was gay. He was heartbroken that his family would pick the church over him. When his family found out about him talking to a boy, on the verge of a relationship, they kicked him out. I remember that day like it was yesterday. He called me crying saying that he was on the curb in front of his house with suitcases and trash bags with his things in it. I immediately got the house phone and called my Mom and told her to come pick me up so we can go get him. She was on her way home from work anyway, and she didn't mind at all. Landon was like the other child she always wanted. When we went to get him I remember seeing his parents, his brothers and sisters standing on the porch. The looks on their faces made me so upset. The only thing running through my mind was, how could they do that to him? The first thing I did when I hopped out of the car was hug him. He needed it. He needed to know that I was there for him. We helped him put his stuff in the trunk, and he didn't even glance at his family. He got in the backseat and I saw a couple of tears fall down his face. Something came over me looking at my best friend cry. I don't know maybe it was a sense of protection, or just pure anger towards his family.

I walked up to their porch and stared at the people who called themselves his family. I had some words to say to them and I couldn't hold it in. What really got to me was the fact that his father had somewhat of a smirk. Well he had one up until the moment I opened my mouth.

"All of you should be ashamed. Especially you Pastor and First Lady Ross. I don't even think you deserve that title. Or even the title as parents. As shepherds you are not suppose to drive the sheep away from God and that's exactly what you are doing. And even though Landon's sexual preference is not what you want, he is still a child of God and he's your child. NO ONE here has any right to judge Landon. He is a blessing not only to you and me, but to others. Ya'll are so wrapped up in what other people in the church will think of you and being selfish, you guys never noticed how much he helped the community. You guys are selfish hypocrites and I pray that God will have mercy on all of you. Good bye."

With my little speech I turned and walked away. I got opened the backseat door to get in the back with Landon, but before getting in I finished our grand exit with the middle finger. Yup I stuck them high in the air with a smile on my face, and then I got in the car.

I would never forget that day. It changed my life, Landon's life, and of course my Mom's. She was happy to have someone other than us two living in the rather large house. The following week Landon told us that he wanted to legally change his last name to ours. Come to find out his family had broken all ties with him, and even went as far as dragging his name through the mud in the church. He put up a good front, but I knew he was deeply hurt by their actions. It took a while to get the court order to change his last name but it happened and now he is officially and proudly a Norway. We do everything together and we know each other like the back of back of each others hands. I thank God everyday for sending me someone like Landon.

My life story isn't as moving as Landon's, but I do have a pretty big secret and the only person who knows is Landon. My secret is I'm in a relationship with Micah Daniels. Micah is a fine ass 6'4 light skin football and basketball player who goes to my school. He's basically the most popular guy at our school. He has friends out the ass and girls continuously fawning over him. Amazing isn't it.

Now here's where the secret comes in. No one knows we are in a relationship. Therefore I am in a secret relationship with the guy at school that every girl wants. Why is this relationship a secret? Well because he doesn't want to mess up his precious image that he has built over the years. When I was in the 9th and 10th grade and when I was a naive young girl who just wanted a boyfriend I accepted it, but as I grow into a older more mature woman I realize that its total bullshit. The reason why I haven't left yet is because I love him. I know it's a stupid thing to say but, I do. And I don't want either one of us to leave the relationship heartbroken because I was being selfish. But at the same time isn't that what he's doing? I guess as time goes on I'll see where this goes and see if I can let him go or if this is worth holding on.

But that's my big secret. I'm in a relationship.

                          Rayne

                        Landon

                           Micah

                               Mama