Sunday Dinner (part 2)

People always ask, if you could have any superpower what would it be? That question is unfair because it always depends on what situation you're in. Usually my answer is telepathy in every sense but right now it would be to just disappear. To be able to not be seen in the most awkward situations.

We were still standing on the porch looking at Landons mother and there were no words being said. She looked....different for the lack of better words. She was skinnier, her face looked caved in and dry, her eyes were dull, the bags under her eyes were more like suitcases, and she tried to cover it up with make up but did a horrible job.

"Hello Sharlene." My mom said. She had her poker face on.

Landon hasn't said anything yet and I was trying to find words that weren't disrespectful. They were still my elders whether they were good or bad ones.

"Good afternoon Ms. Lena. I'm glad that you all came today." She said stepping back and opening the door wide so we can walk in.

Mom walked in with no problem but Landon hesitated. I wont force him to go in there if it's too hard for him. He looked at me and with my eyes I asked if he was ok...he nodded and with that he walked into the house and I was right behind him.

The house didnt change much. It looked the same as the last time I was inside. There were people walking around and even though we used to be here all the time, the house felt foreign.

"Oh my God Landy Pandy. Is that you?!?!" A slightly older voice screeched from the other side of the house.

It was his aunt Sherry. His mother's more.....worldly energetic younger sister. She was heart broken and upset when everything went down. Mad as hell would be an understatement for how she felt. After they kicked him out she was the only one that he kept in contact with.

"Heeeeey Sherry Berry!!" He said opening his arms to hug her.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming to this damn dinner Landy?!" She said hitting his shoulder and putting her hands on her hips.

"Language Sherry." His mother spoke as she walked by.

"Whatever Sharlene." She said waving her off and looking at Landon expectantly.

"I wasnt really too sure if I was gonna come or not. I didnt know if I was ready." He finally told her. She nodded her head and opened her arms to hug him. This is what he needed right now.

"Alright now, dont get all sappy on me now. You gone ruin my scarf Lance got for me." She said.

"Oh my God you're still with Lance?" Me and Landon both asked. Last time we saw her she was ready to kick his ass to the left.

"Yes. Even though he be working my nerves I cant let that man go. He means too much to me." She said smiling a little bit.

"I know the feeling too well " I said rolling my eyes and laughing.

"Oop little miss angel done got her a little boo?!?!" She said with a surprised face.

"Something like that girl. Something like that." I said laughing a little.

"Welp you know what they say...if you love em enough you might not kill em." She said. Me and Landon looked at each other and back at her.

"Sherry who in the hell be saying that??" Landon said as we laughed.

"You know the old folks got all the sayings." She said waving us off.

"Sherry none of the old folks be saying that now move so I can hug my baby." Landon's mother said walking up and moving Sherry to the side. She opened her arms about to hug Landon but he moved back not wanting to be touched. Nothing was said. It was silence. I was in shock and Sherry was in shock too but it looked like she was close to laughing.