His Maid, Chance Encounter: 1

The pitter patter of the rain sounded as it poured against the roof. You stood by Sebastian, going through all the information you've gathered to see if you've missed anything while Ciel and Madam Red were playing a game of Chess as you all remained in the drawing room.

"Is this really the time for a game of chess?" Ciel questioned as Madam Red moved her piece.

"Obsessing about it won't help you solve the case. Why not just leave it all to Isabella and Sebastian, dear?" She asked.

"Because they're simply my chess pieces. I'm the one who moves them by giving orders. But they're no ordinary pieces." He said, making her tilt her head in curiosity. "They can move as many squares as they need to...like that." He stated as he knocked over her piece.

"Ah! That was against the rules, you know!" She exclaimed as she moved another piece.

"Indeed, it would be if this was a game. But rules such as that have no true meaning in the real world. There are always knights who break the rules, and pawns who betray." He said as he folded his hands and placed his head into of them. "If you let your guard down... it's checkmate." He finished as he placed his piece down.

She went quiet for a few moments and looked down. "You must have had other options in life besides policing England's underworld. I'm sure my sister-your mother-wanted something else for you." She quietly said as Ciel picked up his tea cup and sipped it. "And yet after their deaths, you returned to be the Queen's guard dog. Is it because you're trying to avenge your parents' murders?" She questioned.

You looked up from the papers you'd been reading when she said that and looked over at Ciel.

He put down his cup and looked at her. "The need for revenge is a funny thing; it won't bring back the dead, nor will it bring them happiness. But, then...To answer your question, I didn't return to the house of Phantomhive for my parents." He said as he looked down at his father's ring, before looking back up at her. "I did it for myself. I want to find the people responsible for what happened. And I want to make them experience the same pain and humiliation that I suffered." He strongly stated.

Your lips curved into a humorous smile as you looked back down at your papers.

Madam Red hummed and looked down. "I still remember when you were born, though it seems so long ago." She said as she stood up and walked over to him. "You were so tiny and fragile, I remember thinking, 'No matter what, I have to protect him.'" She said while putting her hand on his head and leaning down to him. "You know I was never able to have a child, but there was you. And I've come to think of you as my own son. Which is why I wish you would quit this."

He looked away from her and moved her hand from his head. "This is a task I've freely chosen. It's still my choice to make, and no one else's." He looked up at her. "I don't regret my decision, and I won't be coddled, by anyone."

Your eyes went back to him at his words, and they narrowed slightly while she stayed quiet with a hurt look on her face as she pulled away from him and grabbed her coat.

"I should've known better than to challenge you to a game. It was inevitable you would win, but if I were you, I would think out my strategies more. You cannot always rely on your chess pieces." She stated as she walked to the door.

"Allow me to escort you out, my lady." Sebastian said as he followed her, shutting the door behind him.

The room fell silent, until you walked over and picked up Madam Red's empty teacup. Ciel gestured for you to take his as well as he stared at the board. You looked at him curiously, but didn't move.

"You are not my servant so you can stand around and observe me. Now focus on your work or get out of my sight." He said without looking at you.

You ignored him and continued to stare at him. He started to grow irritated and looked at you with a scowl. "What are you, deaf? I sai-"