Just Another Night

Another day of broken promises. Another ball out of our expenses. Another day of high expectations.

I walked up to the tall mirror within my room and frowned at it's reflection.

"Vincent! Are you ready, dear?"

My head turned towards the door and I gave a close eyed smile, a habit of mine. "I'll be right down, mother!"

"The carriage is awaiting us, hurry up, now!"

My smile dropped. I sighed as my hand ran through my hair and I looked back at my reflection. "Just another day."

. . .

As I reached the bottom of the staircase, my temporary closed smile returned. Mother turned around and walked up to place her hands on my shoulders. "Vincent, look at you, making us late again."

No matter how often she smiled, the trembling shakiness of her hands was enough to make mine disappear. "He invited us last minute, he most likely wouldn't notice our presence anyways. I don't see why you try so hard to impress him."

She moved her hand to rub my cheek. "Oh Vincent, you silly boy, as a Phantomhive, we must act as expected with elegance, charm, and manners." She turned away as a violent cough escaped her and quickly pulled out a handkerchief to cough into. She glanced at it, then closed it up, but I still saw the spot of crimson.

"These are desperate times, after all."

I stared at her as I placed my hand atop hers. "Mother, you are not well. You shouldn't travel."

She attempted a laugh, but it soon turned to a violent coughing fit. "No...I'm fine, really."

"Mother..." I placed my hands on her shoulders and whispered into her hair. "Please, stay here. You need rest. I promise I will behave."

She looked back at me, uncertainty clear in her eyes and after a moment, a smile twitched at her lips. "Oh...alright."

I gave another smile. "Tanaka!" I looked back as I caught site of the head butler walking towards us.

"You called, sir?"

"Tanaka, please take my mother to her bed to rest and attend to her every need."

He placed his hand over his heart and bowed his head. "As you wish, my young lord." He turned towards mother. "Madame? If you please."

She started walking, but looked back at me. "Please come back in time for tonight's ball, you can't show up late to your own party."

My party. Yes, I would hate to not attend something as special as that. Its not like I've gotten used to the several balls we throw every week.

"I promise, I will return in time."

With a smile, I watched her disappear with Tanaka, and only then did it drop.

. . .

"Well, well, well, Vincent Phantomhive."

The smile returned. "Lord Jeffries."

He let out a belt of laughter as he shook my hand. "Come now, call me George!"

No formalities. That is stage one.

"I say, where is Claudia? You didn't leave her behind, now did you?"

"I'm afraid mother is unwell, she will not be able to join us this morning."

He chuckled and patted my back. "And you were willing to travel alone so she could rest. Ha! Good lad, we need more young men like you around here. Teenagers are more after petty greed of money these days."