«Chapter 34- Alone in the Night»

3rd Person's P.O.V

It was almost midnight and Levi is sitting on his chair in his cabin while drinking a cup of tea. Being a slight insomniac he is, he can't sleep at this time of the night and just think for himself, which is kind of boring so he just decided to go out the cabin and explore the near forest.

So he finished his tea quickly and stood up, took his coat and walked out the cabin, lonely cabin.

"Tch, it's to cold tonight," he muttered and walked towards the forest. What was he going to do in there? Who knows? Maybe he could find an herb he could use to make tea but something caught his eyes. Something yellow dashing deeper into the woods and he decided to follow it, in a very slow pace.

He then saw the yellow figure once again and fastened his pace where he caught up with the figure who is squatting down at the edge of a sparkling lake. Levi look ahead to see a lake and mountains surrounding the area as the moon is its highest peek.

Levi looked back at the person by the lake and the reflection of the moon's light reflects from the water and illuminates in the person's face, who is Hazel. Her green eyes gazing at the clear water beneath her bare feet and her short blond hair slightly going with the flow of the wind.

Levi leaned on a nearby tree, not so far from the lake and crossed his arms and legs.

"What are doing here this late?" He asked and Hazel gazed at him with bored and tired eyes. "And bare footed."

"I can't sleep and about my feet, I just took my shoes off because I want my feet to at least feel the water," Hazel said, and Levi rolled his eyes.

"Yeah, whatever," he said as he walk towards her and sat next to the girl, mimicking what she did to her feet. As he remove his boots and rolled up his pants to his knees, Hazel watch with wide eyes, not believing he's doing the same thing she did. After dipping his feet in the water, Levi blinked trice. "The water's...warm."

Hazel just nodded and looked own at the water.

"My grandfather always brought me here when he was still...here..." Hazel said quietly. Even quieter at the last part. Levi looked at Hazel, only to see tears forming the corner of her eyes. Upon feeling the forming tears, Hazel closed her eyes to prevent it from falling. This made Levi clicked his tongue.

"Why are you fighting back your tears?" Levi asked, slightly glaring at her as Hazel mimicked him.

"Am not! I'm not fighting it! I'm not gonna--" she was cut off when Levi suddenly smacked his lips on hers, making Hazel's eyes wide in shock. Levi cupped his hands on her face, waiting for her tears to fall down and let everything she's holding in go out.

Hazel's tears started to form again and she closed her eyes letting it fall. Levi finally felt her tears on his hands and released her lips, breathing heavily. Hazel buried her head on Levi's chest and clutched his shirt. He didn't even bothered if his shirt is getting wet because  at least, it's the woman he love.

"You missed your grandfather, I know it. Just by looking at you, I know," Levi whispered as he rubbed her back. It took a few minutes before her sobbing lessen and was able to speak.

"I feel so lonely with the fact that the people I love died and I didn't even did a thing to save them! Grandpa died and I was unable to save him or helped him! Kaa-san died because I wasn't there and Tou-san died because I was frozen right in front of him like what I did with Petra ad the others! I'm so useless!" Hazel said, gripping tighter on Levi's already wet shirt.

"No, you're not. You saved humanity by defeating the female titan. You survived because you have a mission in the future," Levi comforted her as Hazel sob.

"I'm...still useless," Levi clicked his tongue and pushed Hazel's head up.

"Look, you're not useless. You even gave us the information needed in our next mission. You used your powers to make Survey Corps and humanity successful against the titans. You're not useless, you're brave, brat," Levi said, looking into her eyes. Hazel stopped crying and wiped away her tears as Levi let go of her chin.

"Baka," Hazel said quietly as she sat on the dried land but kept her feet on the warm water. "Why can't I argue with that?"

"Tch, because those are facts," Levi said and he swear he saw her lips curved upwards slightly. "So, did your grandfather told you how this lake's so warm?"

"Yes. He told me that there's a volcano nearby where the main family of the Braugstien once lived. So this lake is considered as a hot spring," Hazel said and closed her eyes.

"How are you so sure that these sightings are part of your family?" Asked Levi and Hazel looked at him with a glare.

"Do I need to--"

"You didn't clarify that to me," Levi cut her off. His face closing into hers making Hazel bent backwards. "These might not be your family members. There's a chance these might be other shifters with the Sam level as your family. How are you sure that these are Braugsteins?"

Hazel sighed before pushing Levi away to bring comfort to him.

"This afternoon, I asked Hange what these people who reported the sightings look like and she said, they mostly have blonde hair and different shades of green eyes. So I concluded these are Braugsteins since our race have these characteristics."

"I see. Ackermans have black hair and mostly black or grey eyes," Levi said and Hazel looked at him with her puffy eyes, "Are you sure you can do this? We might need too kill some of them when the time comes."

"Tch, I don't care. Unlike my parents and grandfather, I don't know these bitches and I don't care about their lives," Hazel said making Levi chuckle lightly.

"You sure?"

"Hell yeah..."

"Very well," they stayed the whole night in by the lake with the  water keeping them warm from the cold windy night.

---

I enjoy reading comments so please leave some for me to read and please vote if the chapter sparked your interest.

~RSE out