« Chapter 39- Midnight Investigation »

Hazel's P.O.V

I was fitting in the new gloves I asked for from the Survey Corps since the previous one was tattered and it actually felt perfectly. It doesn't feel as warm as the previous one, but I like it since it looks just like the first one. I looked over my shoulder to see Titus looking blankly at his palms and his pair of new gloves sat beside him. Since I told him my superstition about this camp and that Harry guy, he keeps on thinking deep on his own.

I clicked my tongue and stood up from my bunk and walked over him. As I walk along the wooden floor, the heels of my shoes are the only sounds I hear in this lonely cabin. The moon is high outside, though the my is cloudy and stars hide behind those dark misty clouds.

"Titus," I coldly called and his attention is fully poured on his palms not even giving any to his sister. Not that I care for his attention anyway, "Tch, Titus. Snap out of it! We're here on a mission right now so no need to be starring at your stupid pa--"

"Nee-chan, what if he's our uncle?" I fell silent at the question and crossed my arms.

"I don't care if he's really our uncle. All I want is for all of this to end so we can go back to the Scouting Legion," I said and I heard him sighed. Titus took his gloves and wore it, wiggling his arms so it would fit on his hands.

"Why didn't Tou-san told us about his side of the family?" He paused and clutched his hands after he fully wore his gloves "All I heard about them is that they slowly disappeared taking in other names from their husbands and some become priests and died. Soon, we were the only Braugstein who stayed loyal to our name and blood."

"Tch, and they said Ackerman were extinct," I muttered and Titus looked up at me. Okay, now that just sound ridiculous and in the same time insulting, "Look. I don't really know the whole story of our family except for the shifting powers and that's why we're here right now. To find the answers ourselves."

"Nee-chan..."

"Tch, now stop sulking like a stupid little kid and do your job here. Kirstein and the others are outside, waiting," I said and yanking his arm up so he would stand. He laughed sheepishly and clutched his hand.

"T-This gloves are like the first one. Cool. Hehe," he said and I clicked my tongue then muttered the word troublesome under my breathe.

I blew the fire off the lamp in the cabin and we quietly walked out. We wore the black cloak provided for us and pulled the hood over our head. I looked left and right to make sure there's no one roaming around and when the coast is clear, we ran towards the forest nearby and avoid making any unnecessary noises.

I heard zipping noises and three cloaked figures landed in front of us. The taller on pushed back his hood revealing the horseface kid, Kirstein.

"Took you long enough," he said as Blouse and Springer took off their hoods too.

"If it weren't for someone being dramatic earlier, we should have been here  earlier," I said and Titus sheepishly laughed.

"Oh! By the way, Hazel-san! Captain Levi asked us to give this to you," Blouse said and handed me a white air mail envelope. I swear I saw Titus smirked under his hood and I mentally punched him because this is not the time to make a riot.

I took the envelope and tucked it inside my pocket, careful not to lose it.

"Now, let's go to business. What are Erwin and the others planning on doing?" I asked and Springer pointed his forefinger at me.