28. Pay Attention

Word Count: 1285

Warning: Angst ;-;

Description: Edith lacks of attention 

-------------------

  It all started to go downhill for the middle child ever since her parents have been received for a special mission. The couple would fly away for one day, then come back in the next. And that's how it's been for a month now. Gru usually left them with Dr. Nefario or rarely his mother. Agnes wasn't annoyed at all. The young one always wished her lovely parents a safe trip and Margo's eyes were too busy glued on her phone. 

Edith would also wish them luck with the biggest grin beholden, then turned her back with tears.

It's already been the third week since they'd left and third week without ballet class. The halls were empty and lonely. They'd lacked of Lucy's energetic personality and Gru's unique inventions. But neither were visibly seen. The house wasn't quite dirty either. The minions would usually pick up all dirt/mess the girl gave off. They would talk between another while babysitting their boss's kids. Nevertheless, the house felt still and quiet. 

Upstairs in their rooms were the girls hangout place. Small make-up figurines scattered the floor. Agnes would pick an individual one, painting the doll's face. Laying on her bed was Margo. Simply chatting with her friends online. While the unsatisfied child doodled on a sheet of paper. She seemed pleased drawing her parents until she noticed how lonely Edith felt. The middle child flipped through her previous art works. All had one thing in common. They each had Lucy and Gru on them. 

Edith shoved her hand beneath her chin, letting out a deep heavy sigh. Her eyes glanced up to the ticking clock. It was still too early to whine. Her body twitched once she heard Margo's phone ring. Edith observed her, high hopes on her parents calling. 

Margo began. "Hey Andrea! Yeah, am alright..." 

The beanie hat girl started digging her eyeballs out.

Edith jumped out of her room searching for a phone around the house. She searched over the countertop, between the bookshelves. Luckily, one was waiting for her at the attic. Edith managed to crawl on her father's chair and dial his number. Once the phone rang, she waited. 

"H-Hello?" Her mother said through the line.

"Hey Mom!" The middle child greeted enthusiastically. "I'm calling you because I feel a bit lon-"

"Edith? Sweety, I don't-" The thunderous sound of an explosion went on. "I don't have t-time right now." More explosion were set on with a mix of punches heard. "Here! Take my lipstick taser, Honey!" She yelled faintly. Her voice went crisper once she returned. "I'll call you later bye." The redheaded hastily ended. 

Edith forcefully leaned back to the chair. She crossed her arms and she pouted. The middle child didn't have any information about job's, but they certainly weren't as important as family. Her fingers searched for the front of her hat. She pulled it, covering her incoming tears.

-

It's been over two months and they thankfully came back with open arms. They were more than happy to explain their voyage, which Edith found interested in. Nothing but their appearance brought glee to her. 

The redheaded took out a bag from behind. "And we brought presents!" She stated, shaking the bag. The sound of toys that crashed each other amazed the three girls. Lucy brought her hand to her cheek. "And by 'we' I mostly mean me." She whispered. Her hand slipped inside the bag. "Alright, so first of we have..." she chanted. The agent took out a palm sized plushie. The plushie had a print of the United Kingdom's flag. "Agnes!" Lucy gave her daughter the plush. "Wait, you went to the U.K?" Margo asked. "Oh you bet we did! We went all around Europe! And for you Margo we brought..." Lucy's hand stuffed back inside the bag. "A shirt from London!" Smile Lucy.

Lucy awed how her daughters adored her little gifts. But Edith's smile soon faded away with empty hands. She leaned closer to the bag but it was all empty. Just like her hands and hopes.

 "Umm, mom." Edith lightly tapped on her shoulder. 

"Hmm?" She turned.

"Where's my present?" The middle child pouted. 

"Your present?" She asked herself. Lucy checked repeatedly as she tapped her chin. Her eyes expanded once she realized. "Oh no!" She began. "I left your glow in the dark snow globe at airport." The redheaded bit her guilty lips. She quickly spotted a frown on Edith's face, but she was willing to do anything. 

Lucy waved. "Hey, hey. It's alright. Just a silly mistake of mine. I promise I'll make it up to you." Her hands brushed over her shoulders. "I'll just go and buy you a-"  "No, you don't have to. I'm fine." Edith furiously brushed off her mothers hands and left the living room.

The middle child stared at the plastic stars from her bed. She thought counting them might end her frustration. Edith pointed each star with their count, slowly. Nevertheless, she felt lost, confused and unwanted. 

Unwanted...

The feeling she had when she was in the orphanage started to rush in. Edith bit her lip. It was hard to brush it all off. Her arms folded into one below her head. She took a break from counting and thought for a moment. All those years she has been with this new family and yet she feels useless. As if she didn't exists. Then a whole new idea popped in. What if they were giving her for adoption? No, no they can't be! Is it something I did? Why?

"Edith," a familiar voice bumped her thoughts. The middle child turned. It were her two adoptive parents. Gru, followed by Lucy, walked towards her bed. The redheaded kneeled down. She rested her head on her arms. Meanwhile, the ex-villain sat on Margo's bed. "Can we talk about something?" Asked Lucy. The middle child sat up straight all ears on her parents. "What." She asked softly. "Ez everything all right?" Gru bumped in. Edith's thumb fidgeted. She adverted her eyes as she spoke. "Yes." She painfully lied. The spy placed her hand on top her daughter's knee. "Tell us the truth. Is there something we did?"

The girl with the pink beanie hat scanned through Lucy's face. Her eyebrows were knitted and her face was paler than usual. Edith sighed as she turned her face to the side. "It's your job." Whispered She. Edith bit her inner cheek. "Y-You always have b-been leaving a-and you haven't been paying attention to me." Her lips were pursed. Words escaped easily, but it was difficult to continue as if someone is choking her. Her eyes glance back at her father then back at her mother. There were no reason to hold incoming tears now. "D-Do you...Do you hate?" Edith blurted. The redheaded gasped, while Gru raised his eyebrows. The middle child covered her face. Between her palms, tears fell. Lucy turned to her husband with pouting lips. The spy's hands were wrapped around Edith. She patted on her began. "Edith, we don't hate you. We never hate you." She stated soothingly. The pitiful mother cried out a few tears. The ex-villain also placed his hand on her daughter's back. "Our job ez something we can't control, but we'll promise to pay more attention. Alright?" 

Edith peeked out her mother's shoulder. Streams of tears were still flowing on her cheeks. "Ok." She smiled. "Come over here." Gru opened up his arms. Edith jumped towards her father, embracing him. "We love you Edith." Stated Lucy. "I love you guys too."

Edith mumbled a few words. "Never leave me."

"We von't ever."~