38. Recipe For Disaster

Word Count: 1085

Warning: None

Description: Gru and Lucy (attempt) preparing a handmade cake

---------------------------

     Lucy was inspired by many things in this world. One of them is her husband who is yet turning a year older today. Gru was a life changer for the redheaded. Whether he was a villain or not, she still loved him. So today she tried to make his birthday somewhat special.

After the whole lasagna fiasco, Lucy has always stepped away from the kitchen when in session. She feared of getting burned again. Nevertheless, today she had to face that fear for today she was baking a vanilla cake. Lucy, in her pj's, checked her cookbook with ease. The agent took a deep breath. Her fingers wrapped the edges of the book as she rose it to her. "Two eggs" She murmured. The redheaded placed the book down and walked up to the fridge. Opening, she found a carton of eggs waiting for her. Lucy grabbed two as directed. She stared at the glass bowl already filled with flour and baking powder. Now how do you put the eggs? Her first intention was to place the whole into the bowl with shell and all. Nah, that's dumb. She took another deep breath while placing one egg down. From the recent tutorial, she learned to crack the egg. With trembling hands, she grasped the one egg and tapped it against the edge of the table. Hastily, the egg was above the bowl. Her thumb cracked the spot. It successfully drizzled its yolk. Lucy repeated the same process with the other egg.

Her eyes scanned the book. It directed 1/4 a teaspoon of salt. The redheaded's eyes wandered for the salt. Her lanky limbs carried her off to cabinets. She opened each but instead found either the dishes, cups or other condiments. The last cabinet she pulled presented a nice pack of salt. Just as her hand was a few inches away from the salt, she felt frigid hands on her bare shoulders. Her body jumped. "Morning." Yawned a familiar voice. The voice rested his chin on top of her shoulder. Lucy's glanced below her shoulder. In an instant, she recognized those big blue eyes. Nothing but the birthday man. A smile crept up to her face. The agent snatched the salt and walked to her station. Placing a pinch of salt she examined the cookbook. Gru's hands wrapped his wife's waist. His breath tickled Lucy's ears. "What are yu baking?" He asked with a sudden pause. "Wait, vhy are yu baking?" "I'll answer that once I'm finished." Answered she. "Where's the sugar?" The redheaded asked. "Second cabinet."

Lucy sauntered over to the second cabinet. The sugar was contained in a small bottle. She grabbed that bottle and walked back. Gru's hand the palm of his hand below his chin. His eyes seemed to glance the recipe. The agent placed a specific amount of sugar. "Yu don't have to risk yurself baking a cake for me." Her husband snaps. "Well it's too late now, I'm making it for you." Lucy sashayed away. The ex-villain flipped through the pages of the book. He observed what his wife has so far made. Lucy came back with sticks of butter and shoved them down to the mix. "Yu're supposed to put the eggs before yu put place de butter and sugar." Gru corrected. The redheaded snapped her head to her husband. "What!" She shrieked in horror. The smile on her face disappeared and she gained a worried expression. "Y-You ca-an't be lying." The agent stuttered. "Nope, it says it all here." His finger pointed to the directions. 

With her body slouched and droopy eyes, she cursed to herself. Lucy buried her face in her hands and wept. "Its alright honey. Just continue what yur doing." Her husband massaged her back. "I'll help you." He added with a smile. The redheaded popped out with a pout. "Ok." 

After all, ingredients were gathered and Gru brought the mixer. Turning a mixer turned out to be wild. It was a whole new experience with Gru and Lucy. But luckily they handled the toughness of the mixer and it combined all of the ingredients in a snap. Other condiments were added before being placed into the oven. Lucy stepped away at least 4 feet across the oven as her husband placed the almost-finished cake. As in on cue, their daughters awoke from slumber with empty stomachs. Since Lucy was tired of baking already, the ex-villain prepared cereal. Their daughters wished their father a Happy Birthday with kisses and hugs. The redheaded waited for the cake to be finished do she can bathe him in kisses as well. 

"It's ready!" Shouted Gru across the living room. The redheaded strode to the kitchen. Her jaw dropped with the perfect curves that the mold of the cake hold. It was the best thing she has ever accomplished. "Gru we did it!" She hopped. Her arms wrapped around her husband. "No, yu did it." The bald man corrected. Lucy released her grip. "Me?" She asked. "Yu made most of de work. I knew yu would do it." Her husband praised her. Lucy smirked. 

"Come on let's put some frosting on this perfect cake!"

~

With the smudges of blue icing scattered throughout their clothing, they glanced at theirs, mostly Lucy's final results. The cake was coated with blue icing, white flowers were placed at the bottom with curves on top and in perfect black cursive, it read Happy Birthday Dad  above. 

"Now to leave it there until sundown." Declared the agent. Her body was ready to leave out of the kitchen but her husband grasped her wrist. "Wait." 

Lucy turned. "What?"

"Yu have something here." His finger wiped off the blue icing from her cheek and licked it off. Lucy giggled. "And you something here as well." She stated. With the swipe of blue icing she took from her other cheek she placed it on Gru's nose. The appearance of the icing handing from his pointing nose made the redheaded laugh. The ex-villain grabbed Lucy's waist and dipped her. Lucy hung her arms around his shoulder. They both stared deep into their shimmering eyes, the same eyes they fell in love with. Gru analyzed the curve of her wife's face, then her giggling lips. He leaned touching her lips. her. The taste of icing mixed between their kiss. Their lips contacted across one another. 

Lucy leaned back with a fit of giggles. "Happy Birthday, honey.~"