Prologue- The Proposal

"Pack your bags." I glanced up from my laptop to find Sammi hovering over me with two plane tickets and an annoyingly wide smile.

"You're taking a trip?" I acted astonished. I turned my head back to my MacBook that was sitting on my lap, hoping she would at least let me finish my chapter.

He touched her cheek so gently, and her eyes widened in surprise with how close he was to her. Nope, sounds too cliché. He wanted her to need him. He wanted her. Most importantly, he wanted to be inside of her. Too sexual. I need to get laid.

I huffed as I shut my laptop and groaned in response to my shitty writer's block. I laid back on my bed, making a large thud sound against my sheets.

"We're going to Cali!" Sammi squealed. I stared intensely at Sammi until she calmed down. Cali? What is this girl talking about?

"Sam, stop fucking around. Where would we ever get the money to go to Cali?!" I crossed my arms. Neither of us had the money to drop on a vacation right now. We didn't even have jobs.

"It just so happens that my dad thought we need a break from working so hard. So he's paying for us to stay the whole summer Cali." She pranced around the smooth, cherry colored bed frame before plopping down next to me.

"The whole summer?!" I repeated in disbelief.

"The whole summer," she sang. I waited a few seconds before repeating the same squeal Sammi had done. I need a vacation more than anything and writing next to the beach would definitely bring me out of my writer's block. I knew Sammi well though, and there had to be something she wasn't telling me about this trip. 

"What's the catch?"

"What are you talking ab-"

"Cut the shit S. There's always a catch," I rolled my eyes. Her honey brown eyes flickered from my face to her hands as she tried to ease into what to say next. She bit her lip, then sat up so I had to tilt to see her face.

"The catch is... It's not just going to be us." She paused. "The trip is so cheap because these surfer guys are renting out two rooms by the beach because their friends are going to be gone for the summer. So they made a deal with my dad and we took it because it was the cheapest deal."

"We're going to be living with four surfers?" I questioned calmly. There goes my summer of focusing on my novel, since it will soon be distracted by attractive men with washboard abs and swim trunks that sag down when they get out of the water. "I don't know. I really need to work on my writing. I don't think I should be taking a vacation right now," I lied.

I would love a vacation, just not one where I would waste my time watching Sammi flirt with four different surfers while I admire them from a far. Sami was every surfer's dream, long blonde hair, tanned skin, and a gorgeous smile. She wasn't a shy flirter either and she knew what ever she wanted, she could and would get. I on the other hand, couldn't remember the last time I flirted with a guy and didn't say anything awkward. My curly hair and golden brown skin only confused people and made people assume that one, I must not be fully black or two, I was some exotic bitch that was too stuck up for her own kind. Not to mention, I grew up as the nerd who's head was always in a book, so attractive wasn't the word people would have used to describe me. That is until college. 

But yet here I am, a single girl writing a book about romance she never fully had and whining about not being laid while my best friend was getting some left and right. 

Which is why I should be writing and on vacation away from boys, so I didn't have to worry about how I looked and punish myself watching others fall in love when I can't even finish a romance novel.

"Oh c'mon. I already have the plane tickets and I'll promise you'll love it. You always say you want to be more adventurous, here's your chance! You're one chance to get inspiration for your book, don't let it past by you!" She exaggerated. I knew she wasn't going to give up easily. She never did. "It's a free vacation B. Are you really going to say no?" Damn, did she have to be so convincing? She knew I couldn't give up anything that started with free.

"Screw it," I smiled. "Let's start packing."