Chapter 11- To Be or Not to Be

"GET THE FUCK OFF OF HER."

After the third punch, AJ had ran off into the house with a bloody nose. I stood in the same position in shock. I didn't want to move. Or speak. Or even process what almost happened.

"Are you okay?" The words vibrated through the air. "Brianna are you okay?!" I looked up to find Codi staring down at me, worry gleaming through his eyes.

"Yes I-" In just a split second, every emotion I had felt raced into me. I lost it. I completely lost it. "He was gonna rape me." The tears flowed out and I couldn't stop them. I felt so stupid, just standing there crying in front of him. To my surprise, he grabbed me tight into his embrace. I felt safe- that was all that mattered. And I was so thankful for it... for him. "I'm sorry for getting tears all over your nice chest," I apologized through sniffles once I stopped crying.

He let out a light hearted laugh. "It's okay. I'm just glad you're okay."

"Yeah..." I looked down at his fist, now bruised and red. "But your fist isn't."

He followed my glare and frowned at his blood stained knuckles. "I'm sure it's nothing."

"Let me help."

"Bri-"

"Please," I pleaded. "I want to help." He sighed before nodded okay and heading into the house with me. I made him sit on the living room couch as I grabbed rubbing alcohol and a bandage. Grabbing a napkin, I kneeled in front of him and poured some of the alcohol on it. "Okay, brace yourself." I paused before rubbing the alcohol against his knuckles.

"Fuck," he mumbled. "I think I hit the wall more than his face on punch number two." I smiled at his remark before wrapping his hand in the bandage.

"Thank you," I spoke softly. "I... I really don't know what would have happened if you weren't there."

"Hey," he lifted my chin up so our eyes met. "He got what was coming to him." I nodded before becoming completely engulfed in his gaze again. God, why did he have this affect on me? Goosebumps rose in my skin from just looking at him.

The room began to shift moods, and I knew I wasn't the only one that felt it. He leaned over, eyes still locked on me, and brushed a finger against my tear streaked cheek. Then, in one fluid motion and like we both made the conscious decision to do it, we kissed again. It was more passionate than before. He pulled me up into his lap with his arms wrapped tight around me and I forgot where we were or what time it was. I even momentarily forgot what had just happened.

This time, I was the first to pull back. He looked at me confused, then tried to bring me back into another kiss.

"I can't." I slid off of his lap and onto the empty spot on the sofa next to me. "We've got to stop kissing. It's too confusing... I mean a couple minutes ago I was gonna yell at you for calling me simple minded."

"I know... I'm an idiot and a dumbass," he admitted.

"Yeah... and that really hurt. I don't want to keep kissing someone that's gonna be a jerk to me one minute and sweet the next. I can't handle that." I started to fiddle with my hands nervously as I waited for him to answer.

"I know..."

"Well then tell me what you want. Because I need to know where I stand." I turned to face him, determined to get an answer.

"Well... to be honest... I do want you." He took a deep breath. "I just... I need to be focusing on surfing right now and I don't know if I can handle that and a girl. Or if I could even be a boyfriend. Or what happens after you go home. I figure it's easier to be mean and stay away than get in way over my head. But as you can see... it's hard."

"Well who says I want labels?" I asked. "I mean, I have to focus on my writing career anyways. Why don't we just enjoy each other's company without thinking of the future. Then there's no break up... we just move on."

"And you're okay with that?" He looked shocked.

"If it means you'll stop treating me like a dick and we can kiss yes," I joked. "But seriously. If you're willing to try I am." He pulled me by the waist and found his way to my lips again.

"Okay, yeah. What the hell let's try it." I watched as his whole posture began to relax and he ran his hands through his still damp hair.

"You've been holding that in for a while huh?" He nodded at me. "So when did you realize you liked me?" I leaned in interested and batted my eyes.

"I think I've said enough sappy shit for the day," he mumbled. "Can't I just kiss you again?" I patted his knee.

"Sorry, you only get kisses after you say sappy stuff." I got off the couch and started walking to the stairs slowly. When I got to about halfway, he grabbed my hand and tugged me towards him. "So are you gonna tell me?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Okay... fine. I'll tell you." He put his hands up as he surrendered before letting out an annoyed groan. He cleared his throat first before lowering his voice. "That night you came... I honestly thought you were beautiful. Unlike any girl I've ever seen. And when you opened your mouth at the table... well you were a smart ass. And shit what can I say, I have a thing for smart asses." I blushed before nervously glancing down at the floor. 

"Well fuck," I muttered. He did notice. He just didn't say anything. So much for being a hard ass.

"And I liked how your pretty mouth twitches before you're about to say a cuss word." He smiled. "So is that enough sappy stuff for you?"

"I guess." I pretending to not be nonchalant. "So where do we go from here?" He pulled me by the waist, my chest now warmed by his topless body. My heart had picked up speed as I waited for his next move.

"Who cares where we go?"

And with the satisfaction of his answer, he pulled me in to another blissful kiss, just as beautiful as the first time. His hands never left my waist just as his lips didn't leave mine. We were in our own world- one where we could finally have each other without worries. I felt relieved. Maybe even sane.