Chapter 22- Help, I'm Falling

"Hello?... hi mom."

My eyes fluttered open when I heard Codi's voice whispering in his phone.

"I just woke up."

I let out a sleepy groan before scooting closer to Codi and wrapping my arm around his chest. He gently grabbed my hand and pressed his lips against it.

"Can I call you back later I'm really tired," he complained. A high pitched voice responded, speaking too quickly for me to catch anything. "Okay. Yeah I know. Quit nagging me." He sat up and let out a huge yawn. "Okay. Alright. Love you too bye."

"What was that about?" I asked once he hung up the phone. He laid flat on his back and looked up at the ceiling.

"She wants me to come home this weekend," he mumbled.

I paused for a few seconds. "And you're upset because..."

"Because I hate going home. It's like a reunion of preppy rich assholes and a shit show of complaints about me not being a doctor." He closed his eyes and sighed. I prompted myself up on my elbow.

"When was the last time you went home?"

"Like seven months ago." My jaw dropped.

"You haven't seen your parents in seven months? You have to go. You don't have an option." He looked over at me, revealing his half shut blue eyes.

"I really don't want to."

"You have to." He let out another sigh followed by a pout. "I'll go with you." He looked over at me again, this time raising an eyebrow. My cheeks got hot when I realized what I said. "You can introduce me as a friend."

"Bri-"

"What?! No strings attached remember." My heart sunk a little as his expression became unreadable. It's not like I could be angry at him for agreeing- it was the truth.

"Would you really want me to introduce you as a friend? Honestly?"

I paused hesitantly. "No..." I bit my lip. "But if it's what you want then yeah. Plus I can't exactly tell her that we're fuck buddies."

He smirked. "So now we're just fuck buddies? Ouch." I rolled my eyes and pushed him back.

"You know what I mean." I rolled out of bed and shivered at the sudden coldness from not being under the covers. Gritting my teeth, I looked through my clothes to find a big t-shirt before pulling it over my head. I could feel Codi's eyes roaming my body, but I was so used to it by now I've learned how to shrug it off. He cleared his throat in the background.

I placed my hands on my hips. "Yes?"

"We leave Friday at eight. I'll introduce you as my girlfriend. I mean, it'll get my parents off my back about it anyways." He scratched his head. In the moment, I couldn't help but beam. So maybe I wasn't his girlfriend in the real world, but I at least would get to act like one for the weekend.

I grinned before sliding on a pair of swimming bottoms. Balancing one foot in a flip flop, I took the other and threw it at him.

"Come on. You're gonna be late."

He smiled slightly before sliding open a drawer to find his swimming trucks he had put in there last night. He was always prepared.

Hanging his feet over the bed, he quickly put the army green material over his legs and on to his hips. I watched as he walked across the room until he was directly in front of me. The familiar flutter of butterflies entered my stomach as soon as his eyes latched on mine.