Between Us Would Be Impossible (Chapter 9)

The stars were fading, and the clouds were coming in. It soon began raining because of the cold front we would be having tomorrow. I convinced Joshua to give the girl a chance just as friends, and to apologize to his parents for misbehaving like a brat when he's already an adult. We ran in laughter to the porch and dried ourselves off before going back in the house. As Joshua left to the dining room where his parents waited, I walked to my room to get out of my wet uniform. Going inside my room I thought back to what I told Joshua about giving Elizabeth a chance. It made me feel jealous or a feeling of not wanting Elizabeth to take Joshua away. I changed from my maid dress to some shorts, and a t-shirt when I heard a soft knock on my door.

"Come in." I said looking to the door thinking it would be Jefferson.

Joshua came in walking slowly with his hands in his pockets, and a mischievous smile on his face.

"Well that's a first, you don't usually knock." I smirked.

"I talked to my parents, and Jefferson escorted them out. I apologized to Elizabeth for acting the way I did." he said taking a seat on my bed.

"Well, what does that have to do with me?" I asked.

"Don't know, I just wanted to come up and tell you because...well I really don't know I felt like I wanted to see you." he put his hands on his neck and laid across my bed.

"But you just saw me a few minutes ago outside." I said densely.

Joshua looked at me, and shrugged. He was acting weird, and it didn't seem like him to be this nice. I made my way to the other side of my bed to put my apron in the drawer and tripped over Joshua's leg that was sticking out. He trapped me with both his feet, locking my ankles together. I couldn't take another step.

"C'mon Joshua, I need to get to my drawer." I told him half laughing, half serious softly tapping his leg.

We both broke out in laughter that filled the room.

"Joshua stop, c'mon I'm not playing." I said trying not to laugh.

"I'm not playing either." he said laughing and sitting up on the bed.

He started tickling me and I couldn't take it anymore, I was laughing so much I started crying, and tripped over falling on my bed next to him. He flipped over and I could feel his body heat on mine. I felt extremely awkward and couldn't blink or even say a word. I was hypnotized by him. Our faces were close and our bodies were pressed together. I could feel his weight taking a toll on me.

"I-I thought you said you didn't pay attention to your employees." I was more than nervous.

"I don't but you..I don't know what it is." he looked blinded by the moment, like he didn't know how to convey what he was thinking.

"I-" I said but he interrupted me.

"I'm sorry, I think it's the wine or something." he shook his head, and stood up.

I was taken aback by what just happened. I was stunned and I felt a bit of dissatisfaction when he pulled away, I was hoping for something far greater than just our bodies being squashed together. I felt selfish, and like my standards didn't match his. Who was I kidding? I would never be more than an employee to Joshua. The one he truly belonged with was Elizabeth who was beautiful, classy, and apparently rich.

"Goodnight Cilia, remember you have to be out and about at 6am." he closed the door behind him.

I was left there on my bed. I hadn't moved. I didn't even look at Joshua leave, I just heard his voice. I felt embarrassed. I should of made a move. I felt like such an idiot for letting my nerves take over my body, and my words closing in on me. I wanted more of Joshua and I couldn't help but admit that I felt an immense attraction towards him now. One that wasn't mutual. I turned on my side, and went to sleep thinking about how things would be if I was Elizabeth and not a maid.