Cilia's 19th Birthday (Chapter 12)

Last night I couldn't sleep at all. I kept thinking about things and those "things" include my moms death. I felt lonely last night. I've never had a family, it's always been just my mother and I. No dad, no grandparents, no aunts or uncles. I didn't even know if I had cousins. I kept tossing and turning in my bed that I decided I would just get up. It was 4:59am almost 5. I got myself ready and went downstairs in the most glum way I could ever walk. I turned on the kitchen lights and looked for something to do but Jefferson had left everything so tidy and spotless. I sighed.

"My life is such a drag." I whispered.

I walked around the house fixing small details like the drape that hung over the couch in the living room. I stood outside of the double glass doors that gave me view to the pool. The sun was slowly rising but not yet. The sky was pink, blue, and a pretty shade of indigo.

"Why are you awake?" Joshua's voice startled me.

"Uh-I-I couldn't sleep so I decided to start working early." I said looking at my feet.

"That's weird. I thought you were going to take your leave?" he said harshly.

"I was but I decided to stay for my mom. What exactly is that 'debt' she owes you Turmans?" I asked crossing my arms.

"If she didn't tell you then that's something I should stay quiet about." he said.

"Why can't you tell me?" I was getting loud.

"I'm not going to fight with you Cilia, you're my employee. You got that? Now listen, I might not come home tonight because of a business trip let Jefferson know." Joshua said grabbing his suitcase and his iPhone.

I didn't as to nod or turn my head. I looked at him leave through the door and didn't say a word to him. He was an asshole. I was tired of his attitude with me and treating me like just an "employee". I watched television for the time remaining till 6. Jefferson was out of his room 15 minutes early.

"Goodmorning Miss. Louis what a surprise seeing you awake so early." Jefferson smiled making his eyes wrinkle.

"Yeah I couldn't sleep." I half fake smiled.

We both walked to the kitchen and I sat on the counter when Jefferson opened the fridge.

"Happy birthday to you.." he began singing in a whisper while lighting up the candle.

I looked at him surprised and back at the small pink cake in front of me that had glazed strawberry's all over.

"Oh my god Jefferson thank you so much!" I stood up and ran around the counter to hug him.

No one had ever made me a cake or sang me happy birthday. My mom was always working and she would just bring me Chinese food. In high school I had friends but I never told them when my birthday was. Jefferson's smile was so big it could reach his eyes. He truly felt like a grandfather figure to me. I was glad I at least had someone to spend my birthday with.

****************

We turned up the music and cleaned the floors spotless, and ran across the marble floor with socks. Of course Jefferson wouldn't do it because he was afraid of falling. I took a dip in the pool during noon for a little bit while Jefferson cut me a piece of cake.

"This feels good Jefferson why don't you get in?" I asked looking up to him.

"Oh no Miss. Louis I have things to tend to, you enjoy yourself. It's a special day." he turned away with the tray of empty plates from the cake we were eating.

I put my head back and looked up to the sky, of course the sun was making my eyes squint. I was happy but deep down inside I felt like dying.

****************

Night time came, and after showering and blow drying my hair I decided to sit by the pool. I brought my feet up to my chest and let my head rest on my knees. I looked at the stars but they were barely visible because of the light from the house. I was back in deep thought. "What if my mom was still here, and she wasn't a maid?" "What would it feel like to have a family and actually spend time with them on holidays and special days like these?"

"I miss you mom..so much it's killing me." I said looking up to the faded stars.

I let those unlocked feelings of mines break through. I blew up and there was no going back. I was so alone in the world and I felt as if not one soul cared about me. I felt hopeless and useless. It was my birthday and I couldn't be as happy as I wanted to be.

"Miss. Louis?" Jefferson was next to me with a worried look.

I jumped and ran my hands through my eyes so he wouldn't see the tears but it was too late.