When He Needs Me The Most (Chapter 15)

I heard the doorbell ring and proceeded to open it.

"Hello maid, where is my son Joshua?" his mother was at the door.

"He is in his room ma'm he has the day off." I replied.

She stepped in practically running over me and after her came Elizabeth. She was beautiful with her red dress on and her blonde smooth silky hair that passed her shoulders.

"Jefferson!" she shouted.

"Yes milady." Jefferson came in a rush.

"Get Elizabeth and I a drink." she snapped.

"At your service milady." Jefferson left in a jiffy.

Out of all people I've ever met in my life I surely wasn't too fond of Joshua's mother. She was rude, and obnoxious. She went up the stairs to Joshua's room without even asking permission though I don't see the need to since this used to be her home and now since Joshua's father was sick they gave it to him. After seeing her on her way, I escorted Elizabeth to the dining room and told her to wait.

"You're not leaving me here right?" she exclaimed.

"Huh?" I said turning around to face her.

"Can't even get a petty maid to welcome me the way it should be." she snapped.

"Excuse me?" I asked stepping closer.

"Just go do your job." she flipped her hair.

I turned back around, furiously walking back to the kitchen. I saw Jefferson getting the drinks ready and decided to tell him what was going on.

"Jefferson how do you deal with his mother and can you believe what that girl in there just told me?" I whispered.

"Ah yes Miss. Louis, I told you I've worked here for 30 years, and I know I heard it all. Just try to ignore it that way you don't lose your job." he said.

"Well it's going to take me a while. I thought she was actually nice." I sneered.

Jefferson walked back outside to deliver the drinks and I passed out the napkins. Joshua and I looked at each other awkwardly and I changed my direction of view.

"Good morning Cilia, I know you saw me." he said.

"Oh, good morning Josh- I mean Mr. Turman." I smiled.

I could tell Elizabeth noticed because she glared at me. It was like she was burning through my skin with her laser eyes. What the hell was her problem? I walked back to the kitchen with Jefferson and prepared freshly cut fruits as a snack for them.

*****************

A while later when Joshua's mother and Elizabeth were on they're way outside, I overheard Joshua's mother whispering to him.

"You hear me good son, don't let Elizabeth get away. She's rich and beautiful and your father's last dying wish is to see you married." she said.

"Mother I don't love her, I like someone else." he explained.

"Who is it? Is she important because if she isn't I don't want explanations." she said as she walked out.

I looked over at Joshua who's knuckles turned white, and his face turned red little by little. He took his coat and threw with immense force to the marbled floor.

"Damn it!" he yelled through clenched teeth.

I turned my back on the wall I was eavesdropping by and closed my eyes while taking a deep breath. If Joshua's mother didn't even want to hear about who he liked then she's not going to want to hear that Joshua likes a poor girl instead of a rich one like Elizabeth. I was filled with mixed emotions and felt like nothing was going right. What was I supposed to do? I was falling hard for a rich man who was betrothed to someone else.

*****************

I was walking to my room and saw Joshua sitting against the wall by my room.

"Joshua?" I said kneeling down to him.

"Cilia, why are you coming to your room so late? I've been here for the past hour." he said.

"Well why did you wait for me here instead of going to where I was moron?" I chuckled.

"Don't mock me, and I didn't because I wanted to be alone with you and Jefferson is out there." he explained and grabbed my hand.

"Well I'm here now, what happened?" I asked.

He leaned forward.

"Josh-" I said but stopped speaking.

His arms wrapped around me and he buried his face in my neck.

"Cilia, I just want to hold you even if it's not kissing you." he said softly.

I smiled, and thanked God for him respecting me and not kissing me or touching me in any way like he said he wouldn't. He hugged me for a long time and I kissed his cheek.

"Joshua just go to bed." I said.

"I can't sleep. My mother is just so "agh"' he said clenching his fists.

"I understand." I said softly putting my hand over his.

"And my dad...he came the night you saw them but he's not in good shape, he hasn't been for a while now." he explained.

"I know I'm sorry Joshua, I really am." I pushed his head to my shoulder.

He wrapped his arms around my waist and squeezed me tightly. Joshua and I stayed like that for a while more until he decided it was late and I needed my rest.