Read or Not, Mother's in Shock (Chapter 19)

I couldn't believe Elizabeth was such a gutsy girl to actually throw the juice all over me. I had never done anything to deserve this. I flung myself to her and we both fell to the floor only of course to have the whole house inside the kitchen once they heard her screaming. Who looked like the bad person? I did.

"Miss. Louis!" Jefferson yelled.

"Who is that maid? Get her off of Elizabeth at once!" Elizabeth's mother yelled.

"For heavens sake! Look at how that maid destroyed the beautiful dress." she continued.

"I didn't start-" I began.

"Oh sure, I came to ask for juice, and she just threw herself at me." Elizabeth pouted.

"That is such a lie! I didn't-"

"Cilia!" Joshua's voice was hoarse and loud.

"But I-"

"That's enough Cilia!" he screamed.

He grabbed me by my arm and pulled me into his office. I tumbled and fell on his chair.

"Josh-" I was going to explain.

"Don't speak!" he put his hand up front.

"Do you have any idea what you have done?" he said with his eyes closed.

"You should be scolding her not-" I tried to talk but he kept interrupting me.

"I don't care what she did, your'e my maid you shouldn't fight people!" he yelled in one breath. His face was red.

"What are you? A wrestler? A boxer? You put me in a difficult position with them!" he continued.

I looked down to my hands and slowly stood up.

"You're dismissed Cilia, I don't want to see you. Not today." he said with one hand on his forehead.

"It's fine because you're getting married. You won't ever have to see my face again. So don't worry" I closed the door behind me softly. I couldn't catch my breath and felt as if all of it had been taken away from me. My heart hurt. I went up to my room and didn't even come down for dinner.

***************

"Why are you not asleep yet?" Joshua said opening my bedroom door.

"I know this is your house, but why do you have to come flying in someone else's room invading their privacy huh?" I said.

He sighed and rolled his eyes and then fixed his vision on me.

"Look I'm sorry. I-" he began.

"Look Joshua, I don't care. I really need my rest so if you can please.." I stood up and tried to push him out of my room.

He grabbed my shoulders and shook me.

"Listen to me when I have to speak God damn it!" he yelled.

"I don't want to hear you! I'm tired of being everyone's puppet!" I yelled back.

He covered my mouth and shut the door behind him.

"Don't yell at me. I'm marrying Elizabeth because of my dad. You hear me?" he said in a low voice.

"Doesn't seem like it, I saw the way you looked at her when she was with that white dress! You even defended her this afternoon. You didn't let me explain what she did but that's alright now." I said.

"Jesus Christ Cilia, grow up! Forget what Elizabeth did this afternoon and understand what I'm telling you about my father and his dying wishes." he said.

My tears rolled down my cheeks, and onto his hands where he was covering my mouth. He noticed and wiped them away.

"I'm being selfish about your dad's wishes, I know, but why would you agree so easily? You don't like me. You didn't even think about my feelings did you?" I looked at his eyes.

"I do like you Cilia. I do. You don't understand." he said softly pulling me into a hug.

"Then show it. Fight for me." I cried.

He backed away, and searched my face. He slowly got closer to me and bent down to my level.

"I know what I told you a while back about not kissing you until you asked me but.." he trailed off.

My heart was beating loudly and I was scared he might hear it too. I closed my eyes and felt his lips brush against mine.

"Stop crying." he whispered against my lips.

He wiped the tear away and deepened the kiss. It wasn't a french kiss but a full sweet soft one. We were too slow to pull away though when we heard my door open.

"Joshua Turman!"

It was Joshua's mother standing at my bedroom door who's eyes were raging red.