I'll Be Leaving Soon (Chapter 17)

I ran to my room without a second thought. I left my chores in pause for today, and didn't care if Jefferson later on would question me about it. The mere thought of Joshua marrying Elizabeth shows how much he played with my feelings. I know his parents wouldn't approve of me but he should of fought for me if I was ever something to him. I was enraged with anger but the tears wouldn't stop rolling down my cheeks. How could I let myself be walked over like this and covered by my own emotions?

I was fiddling with my fingers when I heard a knock on my door and quickly dried my eyes and cleared my throat.

"Yes?" I called out.

"Your door is locked, can I come in?" It was Joshua.

"Now isn't a good time." I said trying not to cry.

"And why is that?" he sounded serious.

"Because, I said it's not a good time. I need to sleep so please." I said.

There was no answer so I'm guessing he walked away. I walked around my room, shifting my feet back and forth. I had to leave, and never come back. Forget my mother's debt. I'll pay that some other way. What was the debt anyway? I needed to know. I would pay it with money if that was the case.

************

The next morning my eyes were puffed up but I couldn't keep ignoring my chores. I walked to the kitchen to see Jefferson carrying a large bag.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Oh hello Miss. Louis!" he said stunned to see me.

"Hello." I said looking at him in the eyes.

"Well..what happened to you yesterday? It's like you disappeared." he said trying to fix a fake smile.

"I wanted to." I said turning away.

"O-oh..I see." his fake smile fading away.

I could see the awkwardness and guiltiness in his face. He was probably feeling that way because of his "private" conversation with his precious grandson. I heard the door click and so I proceeded to put the dishes back in the drawer.

"What's up with you huh?" Joshua asked coming in.

I didn't as to glance at him once. I expected this.

"I need to know what was that so-called debt my mom owes you guys is, I will pay for it with money." I declared.

"What? Money?" he chuckled.

"Yes. Money. The faster I pay this stupid debt, the faster I can leave this house." I shot at him.

"Leave this house? he fake laughed a little. "Oh okay sure..though where will you get the money from?"

"That doesn't concern you. I'll pay for it somehow. Don't believe me?" I was filled with anger.

He grabbed me by my arm and pulled me outside by the pool. He was furious.

"What the hell is your problem? I thought you liked me. I thought you wanted to be with me." he yelled.

"Oh yeah? I thought so too but I've been played by you. I hope you have a nice wedding with Elizabeth." I yelled back.

"How did you-?" he furrowed his eyebrows. "Ohhh" he chuckled. "I see. You heard it all right? Maybe I will marry Elizabeth. She's much better than you, richer than you'll ever be, and much prettier." he shot with a smirk.

"Then I hope that's your final decision because I will be leaving this house sooner than later." I was holding back tears.

His eyes were round like an owl. He didn't say a word, and I walked away letting the glass door hit hard. I didn't care. I needed to leave. I wanted to leave. I was so unhappy there. I went to walk upstairs when I saw Jefferson in a shock. He dropped the heavy bag letting all the groceries hit the floor.

"Jeff-" I said in shock too.

"Miss. Louis...you're..leaving?" he asked confused.

"I- Let's get this cleaned up first." I said rushing to him.

It was time to tell Jefferson, and get some answers from him too.