The Drunk Comes Home (Chapter 10)

Nearly a month passed after Joshua and I had that "accident" in my room the night his parents and a pretty rich girl named Elizabeth were over. Days after that were just dull, and Joshua barely came home. He would arrive from work and lock himself in his room sometimes not eating dinner. I didn't know why we became so awkward around each other. Jefferson asked me a few times what had happened ever since that night but all I'd do is shrug and say "I don't know". Many times I tried to have a normal conversation with Joshua and he would tell me he was busy or act cold towards me like he always did so I gave up.

"Hey, you ready?" Joshua's voice came from the entrance.

By the door was Elizabeth, the girl his parents are trying to push them onto each other so they can get married and have kids. Overall I thought she was a nice person, but lately I've been noticing her glances at me. Her eyes are creepy and intimidate me just like Joshua's mother the night she came over. I ignored it because either way whatever I told to Joshua he would ignore me. Elizabeth and him had gotten real close, and once in a while would go on a date and slowly I felt like it was tearing me apart but other times I would just shrug it off.

"Miss. Louis are you okay?" Jefferson suddenly popped up.

I jumped from his voice in the silence as I was watching Joshua and Elizabeth get on the car. He was such a gentleman with her. He even opened her car door all the time. I looked back at Jefferson and nodded my head with a smile. I proceeded to do the same chores I did everyday. I had been in the Turman residence for over a month and a few days now and I was getting used to it. I didn't mind cleaning the bathrooms, doing laundry, or cleaning the top room while Jefferson cooked and did everything else.

"Miss. Louis I saw on your resume and your birthday is coming up!" Jefferson said while walking past me.

"Oh yeah it is, it's a day from tomorrow." I smiled.

"I shall make you a cake, how old are you turning?" he asked excitedly.

"I'm going to be 19 but no Jefferson please, you don't have to." I said waving my hand in the air.

"Oh no such thing." he smiled.

I rolled my eyes and fixed a small smile on my face and went back to cleaning the dishes. I couldn't fight with the old man and I actually appreciated that he remembered my birthday. Jefferson was like a grandpa. I never had my dad. He ran away like a coward and left my mother and I alone. I met my grandparents from my mothers side but I was 7 years old. They didn't care much, and moved years ago to God knows where. I was always an alone child and it didn't bother me only when I was deep in thought about it.

It was night time already and Joshua was still not home. Jefferson had resided to his bedroom and called it a day and I did the same. Around 1:00am I heard a car door and I woke up to see what was the racket. I sneaked out of my room and into the hallway and looked through the window. It was Elizabeth and Joshua but Joshua seemed funny. I ran to open the door.

"What the hell happened to him?" I said taking his other arm.

"He got a bit drunk. Talk about not being used to drinking." she chuckled.

"So you just let him drink like this?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Yeah I'm gonna catch a taxi so when he wakes up tomorrow tell him it was fun." she winked and walked out the door.

She left me with Joshua, who right now weighed 500 pounds, and just walked away. What kind of girl does this? Joshua was mumbling things I didn't even know, and I helped him to his room. I practically ended up dragging him on the floor till he reached his bed and threw himself on it.

"Eliza- Elizabetha? Elizabeth!" he yelled.

"Shhh! Damn it, you're loud." I whispered.

I sat at the edge of his bed and took his shoes off and his suit too. His wallet came flying out open and I noticed it was empty. He must of paid for everything. I shook my head. I ran to the supply closet and filled a bucket with water and put it next to his bed just in case he puked. I stayed at the edge of his bed watching over him in the darkness letting the moonlight from the window shine on his perfect features. I hated that he was so cold towards me but when he was this vulnerable it made me like him even more.

"Mother.." he groaned.

"I'm not your mother damn it. It's me. Your maid." I whispered.

"Please mother, I tried! I did! I don't want to marry Elizabeth." he shot his hand up.

My eyes went wide. What was he saying? Was he dreaming or was he actually stating his feelings like most drunks do?

"Wh-why not?" I did it. I meddled in and wanted to know the answer.

"I don't know..I'm in love with someone else b-but it's impossible she's so c-close y-yet so far." he turned over and fell asleep.

He didn't like Elizabeth and he was in love with someone already. Who was it and how? I wanted to know so bad but when I asked him he was dead asleep. A while later, my eyes felt heavy and I walked to my room and fell asleep. I was tired and didn't want to think of this anymore. Forget Joshua. Forget everything! Start fresh tomorrow and move on Cilia.