Two Shocking New In One (Chapter 16)

Days passed where I longed for Joshua's touch but I didn't want to ruin anything or make it visible to his parents that Joshua and I had something. What exactly were we anyway? We weren't declared dating and he hasn't kissed me ever since the other night. What if Joshua was letting me go because it was impossible?

"Miss. Louis you must be deep in thought." Jefferson said.

"Yeah." I said in a low voice.

I sighed and left the counter to go to my room. It was too early to be resigning from my job today but I was feeling too depressed and didn't want to deal with anything. There was nothing to do in the house today. Jefferson was cooking and everything else was done. I thought "days like these were when my mom would come home early and I'd wonder why." now I know why. There were days when the house was already spotless and tidy. There was no need for extra cleaning to do. I plopped down on my bed and decided to take a small nap but it turned out to be a long one.

"Alright I'll see you tonight." it was Joshua's voice.

I heard Joshua's voice from outside and wondered who he was talking to or what he was talking about. I slowly got up and opened my bedroom door.

"Joshua?" I said walking towards the stairs.

He looked up and hung up the phone.

"Hey." he said continuing to walk up the stairs.

"Where have you been?" I asked.

"Nowhere important." he seemed to be keeping the conversation short.

"Well.." I began.

"Cilia, please stop asking questions. Things aren't so good right now." he snapped.

In just seconds his presence was gone. It hurt me the way he spoke to me. I didn't know what was wrong with him and he wouldn't tell anyone what was going on.

**************

I walked to Jefferson's room a while later but stopped to hear the conversation going on inside.

"No Grandpa, Dad is in the hospital and he's dying! I have to do this." It was Joshua.

Jefferson was Joshua's actual grandfather?! Jefferson told me he was the one who took care of Joshua since he was little but didn't tell me they were related! I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"Joshua, you have to think this twice. I know your dad wanted you to get married soon before he passed away but maybe there's hope that he still has time. You don't have to marry yet." Jefferson continued.

"No Grandpa, I have to! It's his last dying wish!" he said.

"Well then what is your objective?" Jefferson asked.

"I'm going to marry Elizabeth in a few days." he sounded determined.

"M-marry?" I whispered to myself.

My voice was raspy and shaky. I backed away and ran to my room. I closed the door softly and had my hand on my chest. My heart was racing, and so was my breathing. I felt a tight knot on my throat, and the tears rushing to my eyes making the room blurry. M-marry? Elizabeth? I know his father needed to see him get married but why marry Elizabeth? I was stunned, surprised, shocked. I didn't want Joshua to become one with Elizabeth. This was a nightmare coming true. Did Joshua not consider my feelings at all or is it true that he was just playing around with me?