1. The Breakup

Olivia:

I walked to my boyfriend’s house with a big smile on my face. It was a beautiful day, which made this day even more special. Today's my seventeenth birthday.

 I wonder what Grant has planned? I smiled to myself as I imagined the possibilities. Maybe a surprise party, or a picnic under the stars? We might even take our relationship to the next level!

I twirled the ruby ring Grant had given me for our one year anniversary  around my finger. I sighed and grinned up at the afternoon sun. My heart thudded in my chest as I thought of him. We have been together for one whole year, no on and off type of thing. He is the love of my life, and I couldn't imagine myself without him.

My life is perfect right now.

My best friend Kendra and I are closer than we have ever been. When we were freshmen in high school, we fought over Grant. He was the famous football player that every girl had a crush on. We told each other dreams we had had of him, and which hair-do we thought would make him look like Zac Efron. Those were the good days.

During my junior year, Grant asked me to homecoming, and that's when our relationship began. I was worried that Kendra would be angry, because she had a crush on him as well. She gave me the okay, but never mentioned him after that.

A couple of months later, she met Zane, a new student at our school. One look at him told me that he was going to be trouble. And trouble he was! He was sent to the principal’s office the first day of school for talking back to a teacher. I had told her he wasn’t a good idea, but she said that she really liked him, so I never said anything again.

I wasn’t too fond of him, and he didn't like me much either. Despite the fact that we disliked each other, all of us still did everything together. We went on double dates every weekend. When Kendra was around, Zane behaved himself and was not as annoying. 

Even though he is obnoxious, they make a cute couple. But sadly, both of our relationships are going through a difficult time.

Kendra talked about possibly breaking up with Zane because of how difficult their relationship is turning out. Grant and I are having a rough patch of our own, but we never spoke about breaking up. These past couple of days, Kendra has been acting strange and distant towards me. I have known her all my life and we would always share everything with each other. It hurts me that she won’t open up to me. She avoids the questions I ask, and tries hard to be cheerful around me.

My thoughts were interrupted when something hit my shoulder. “Ow!” I complained, and turned to face what struck me. “Zane!” I growled, narrowing my eyes.

He smirked. His dark blue eyes gleamed with mischief.  “Well, it’s good to see you too Princess!”

I glared at him. I hate that nickname. He calls me that just to anger me. I wasn’t a cheerleader or a popular girl, but he didn’t care. “What are you doing here?”

He rolled his eyes. “Going to see my girlfriend. She wants to talk to me. Is that okay, Olivia?” He asked, pointing to Kendra’s house, which is next to Grant’s. They have been neighbors for a couple of months now.

“You better not hurt my best friend, Zane, or else you’re dead meat.” I warned, staring him down. That made him grin even more, if that’s possible.

“No problem princess!” He slapped my shoulder in a brotherly affection.

“Ass,” I muttered and moved past him and onto Grant’s porch. I plastered on a smile and knocked on the door. It swung open and my eyes automatically traveled down his body.