34. Where's Zane?

Olivia:

As soon as I made it home, I rushed upstairs to my room. My heart was still racing and I was still worked up over my encounter with Grant. Seriously, who the fuck does he think he is?! I thought angrily while I slammed my door shut. 

Not long after I changed into my pajamas, my cell phone went off. I tensed up, immediately thinking it was Grant. I checked my phone and surely enough, I have a text from him. 

you can't run away forever, ollie. i'll see you real soon

I gripped the phone in my hand tightly as I read his message. This sounds like a threat to me... I couldn't help but wonder what he meant when he said he will see me soon. I quickly darted over to the window and peered out, searching for any signs of him. Thankfully, the streets were empty except for a few parked cars. I sighed and drew the curtains closed. Great, now he has me all paranoid. 

I went downstairs to grab something to eat, when I saw my mom hauling boxes into the living room. I followed her and gave her a curious look. "What're you doing?"

Mom let out a gush of breath when she set the box onto the coffee table. "I'm setting up the Christmas tree, come help me," she said excitedly. I rolled my eyes at how childish she was acting, and helped her pull out the ornaments. 

An hour later, I stood beside my mom, hands on my hips, and admiring our masterpiece. The tree was over decorated and the star on top was crooked. We glanced at each other and burst out laughing. 

"It's so good getting to spend some alone time with you," mom gushed, and pulled me in for a hug. I hugged her back tightly, and kissed her cheek.

She pulled away and gave me a wide smile. "Well, I'm heading to bed now, don't stay up too late!" She scolded and left me in the living room.

I plopped down on the couch and stared absentmindedly at the ridiculous looking Christmas tree. Memories of my childhood flooded my thoughts. It was so long ago that my family was actually perfect. Everything was fine before my father had to ruin it with his infidelity. The memory of seeing my father walk into that brothel made my insides feel as if it were on fire. 

I shut my eyes tightly and willed myself to calm down. I didn't need to harbor over my father's mistakes; it would just cause unnecessary stress and depression.

I let out a loud sigh and checked my phone to distract myself. Suddenly, I realized that I haven't heard from Zane all day. I frowned and opened up the thread of messages from him. I saw the text I sent him early this morning, but saw no reply from him. I typed a quick message and was about to hit SEND, when I stopped myself. He's probably busy. We aren't even together so why am I acting all clingy just because he hasn't texted me? He's probably with another girl right now...

I dismissed that thought from my mind. I didn't want to think about that being a possibility. 

---------------------------------------------------

The next morning, my alarm went off and I groaned as I shut it off. All night, I tossed and turned because I couldn't sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, images of Zane with another girl flashed through my mind. I was surprised I was able to get some sleep, even though it was only for a couple of hours. I was screwed though, since I have school today.

I checked my cellphone again, but my mood turned sour when I only saw texts from Candice. No offense Candice, but I was seriously hoping it was Zane who texted me. 

I rolled out of bed and lazily changed into pants and a sweater. Afterwards, I made my way downstairs and met my mother in the hallway, who was setting her luggage near the door. "Sweetie!" Mom smiled at me and kissed my cheek.