31. Confusion

Olivia:

I woke up at three in the afternoon. I was surprised I slept so late, but glad that I got enough rest. Today's the day! I thought happily to myself while I stretched. I yawned and hopped out of my bed, but paused when I heard my phone go off. I walked to my nightstand and checked the screen.

One new message from Grant.

Grant.

I frowned and immediately deleted the message, not bothering to read it. This is the second time he has contacted me... I stood there, staring at my phone absentmindedly, wondering why Grant has started to message me.

I blew out a long breath and shoved my phone into my pocket, willing myself to forget about the message. I walked out of my room and headed downstairs, where I saw mom and dad watching TV in the living room. I was stunned to see them together, but then I remembered they were trying to fix their marriage.

“Hey,” I called out to them.

Mom looked up at me and smiled. “Sleep long enough?” She asked amusingly.

I laughed and rolled my eyes. “Yeah.” I sat down beside her and saw dad texting someone on his phone, ignoring what was on TV. Some things never change. “Um, mom, did I tell you I was going to Zane’s tonight to have dinner with his mom?”

“If you did, I can’t remember.” She said slowly, obviously racking her brain to see if I did ask her. I almost rolled my eyes, but I managed to hold back. When does she remember anything I tell her?

“Okay, well, Jane is making dinner and invited me over. Zane is picking me up around six, but I’m not sure what time we’ll be back.” I explained.

“Okay that’s fine.” She said, and turned her attention back to the TV. I smiled to myself and ran up the steps, ready to start my day.

I ran into my room to search for something to wear. I opened the closet, and peered inside, looking at the racks of clothing hanging up. I spotted the short red dress I wore when I first made myself over. I smiled to myself when I remembered all the looks people gave me at school when they saw me wearing it, not to forget Zane's reaction....

I blushed and shook that thought out of my head. I snatched the dress from the hanger and picked up the black heels that were resting to the side of the closet. As soon as I grabbed my undergarments and cellphone along with the dress and heels, I scrambled to the bathroom to take a shower.

I stripped off my clothing and turned the water on. Just when I was about to get in, my phone went off. I froze in my spot, thinking that I got another message from grant. I timidly picked up my phone, closed my eyes and wished it wasn’t him, and finally opened them to check the screen.

One new message from Zane. A huge smile broke out on my face and I quickly opened the text. 

Can't wait to see you tonight Ollie 

That was it. One simple sentence was enough to make my heart race and have me excited. I placed the phone back on the counter and went into the shower, letting my mind race with thoughts of him. I can't believe he has this effect on me. His words on a screen is enough to make me really happy. I think I'm falling for him...hard.

I must have been in the shower too long, because the water was beginning to feel slightly cold. I quickly shut it off. I dried myself with a towel and slipped into the red dress. I admired myself in the mirror, liking the way the dress hugged my body and enhanced my curves. I felt like going all out today, so I applied foundation, eyeliner, mascara, eyeshadow, and lipstick on. I sure as hell felt beautiful.

“Olivia!” Dad called from the bathroom door, scaring me. “I need to get in there for a second. Are you almost done?” 

“Yeah, hold on a minute,” I yelled. I gathered up my dirty clothes and opened the bathroom door.

“Sorry,” I rolled my eyes playfully and went to my room.

I tossed the dirty clothes into the hamper and pulled on my heels. I just got done combing out my hair when I heard a car pull up into the driveway. 

“Olivia! Zane’s here!”

I grabbed my cellphone and quickly exited my room, and bounded down the stairs. Right when I reached the bottom, Zane was ushered inside by my mother. 

“Mrs. Taylor,” Zane said sweetly to mom, which caused her to blush.

“Please call me Jill,” she replied.

The sight of Zane took my breath away. He was wearing black jeans with a button up a white polo shirt, along with his leather jacket. His hair was disheveled, but he made it look good. I took in a deep breath and walked forward, meeting them near the front door.

“I’m ready,” I said quietly. Zane’s eyes shifted over to me, and they widened slightly once he fixed his gaze on me. His lips parted as his eyes trailed my body. I clasped my hands together and blushed, still not used to the way he checks me out.

“Oh, Olivia! You look so pretty!” Mom gushed, interrupting the moment she didn't know was happening. She wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly.

“Thanks mom,” I said and pulled back. I looked at Zane again, who was still gazing at me intensely.

“Yeah you look….” He trailed off and looked down, blushing slightly.

I am so glad I have that effect on him. I thought happily. I turned to my mom and kissed her cheek. "I’ll be back as soon as I can.”

“Oh, just have fun! Don't worry about it,” she assured me, and smiled. 

I walked toward Zane and he looked up at me between his lashes. “Come on there buddy.” I said and nudged him playfully. He smirked and led me out the door by the small of my back. His touch made my body blaze with want.

“So, what is your mom making for dinner?” I asked casually, trying to ignore the way his hand felt against my back. 

“Um, I’m not sure. But she is totally rushing around making it.” He chuckled while he opened the car door for me. I flashed him a smile and slipped inside; he joined me inside seconds later.

“Aw, that’s sweet,” I said affectionately. 

“She really likes you, Olivia,” Zane said, and looked over at me with a small smile. 

“I like her too," I admitted, and we laughed together while he pulled out of the driveway. 

Minutes passed, and I was gazing out of the window, watching the neighborhood whizz by. Suddenly, I felt something press against my thigh. I looked down and noticed it was Zane's hand. The feeling of his hand on my bare thigh made tingles shoot throughout my body. I looked at him through the corner of my eye and saw him staring straight ahead, his lips pulled up into a smile.

I smiled at the sight and relaxed in my seat. I didn't want to move his hand away. I wanted to be able to touch him in any way that I could. I still wasn’t sure how to feel about my feelings for Zane….and I was worried about that. Because in the end, I would probably get my heart broken.