22. Jane

Olivia:

We got back to my house about two hours later. I dreaded getting out of the car and into the cold air.

“We’ll make a run for it,” Zane said, reading my thoughts. I grinned and nodded.

I jumped out of the car the same time Zane did. We were laughing as we ran to the door. The cold air stung my damp skin and I squealed in discomfort. We made it to the porch and I twisted the door knob, but it was lock.

“Olivia!” Zane groaned. I laughed at his discomfort as I pulled my keys out of my bag. My hands were shaking so badly that the keys slipped from my grasp and fell to the floor, causing a fit of laughter from Zane.

I glared at him and he shook his head. “Just go!” he yelled.

I huffed out a breath and picked up the keys from the ground. I jammed it into the keyhole and quickly opened the door. We fought to be the first through the door, and I won. He stumbled in after me and slammed the door shut behind him.  I peeled off my cardigan and threw it on the floor.

“It’s so warm!” I sighed in contentment. “I’m going to go get changed. Do you need pants?” I asked as I started for the stairs.

“Um, yeah if you can find any.” 

Zane followed me up the stairs and waited outside of my parents room while I searched for a pair of pants. I gingerly picked up a pair that was thrown on the ground and threw it to Zane. 

He headed for the bathroom and I hurried to my room. I shut the door behind me, and locked it. Don't need a repeat of last time, I thought to myself. A blush crept to my cheeks and I shook the thought away from my mind as I quickly changed into dry clothes.

I exited my room the same time Zane came out of the bathroom, sporting my dad's pants. They fit him pretty well. 

“Not bad, Mr. Harper,” I whistled jokingly and he rolled his eyes.

I walked past him and into the bathroom. I left the door open, since all I needed to do was fix my appearance. Zane was leaning against the door frame, watching me while I combed out my wet hair.

I returned the brush in the drawer and pulled out my eyeliner.  I was reaching up to apply it to my eye when a hand caught my wrist, stopping me.

I looked at Zane with a frown. “What’s wrong?”

He squeezed my wrist gently. “Don’t put any on,” he said in a low voice. His eyes were staring intensely into mine, and I looked away before he could see me blush. 

“Ok,” I agreed and put down the eyeliner. 

He cleared his throat. “We have to go anyway,” he said as he let go of my wrist.

“OK then, let’s go.”

I gave him a small smile and shut off the bathroom light as we exited. We trudged down the stairs and I grabbed my coat that hung from the rack and pulled it on. I smiled to myself as I walked down the front steps because the cold air didn't bother me one bit.

Zane ran ahead of me and opened the passenger door for me. I rolled my eyes playfully and went inside. He joined me inside a couple of seconds later. Soon, we were on the road.

“Where are we going?” I finally asked.

“My mom’s work. She works at a restaurant in the city.”