25. Questions

Olivia:

The week dragged on in a blur. I remember avoiding Grant every day; not wanting to find out what it is he wanted to tell me. Zane and I were also avoiding each other. Well, more like HE was avoiding me. Every time I glanced his way, he didn't meet my gaze. Sometimes he just stared past me, as if I were invisible. He stopped coming by my house afterschool; I just don't know why he's acting so distant.

It's Thursday now, and I'm supposed to be having dinner with his mom on Saturday. I was a bit anxious because I didn't know if Zane still wanted me to come over his house. Oh, who cares Olivia? You can spend Saturday sleeping in and avoiding that jerk.

I mentally sighed in my head, and tried to pay attention to what my teacher was saying. I'm not going to let Zane distract me from my school work! 

I just finished writing down the last bit of notes when the bell rang, signaling the end of the school day. I packed up my things and scurried out of the classroom, eager to put as much distance between Grant and I as possible.

I walked down the hallway, and my heart raced when I saw the familiar tall figure leaning against my locker. Zane's a jerk, but he's still hot! I gushed to myself, then blushed furiously when his eyes met mine.

I gave him a small smile and stuffed my books into my locker, then slammed it shut. We made our way outside in silence, not even bothering to hold hands. A few lingering students eyed us questionably, but I didn't care. Our "relationship" is bound to end soon anyway, since we aren't getting anywhere with Grant and Kendra.

I reached my car, quickly unlocked it, and practically dove into the driver's seat, escaping the cold. Zane joined me a couple of seconds later, and put on his seatbelt. I started the car and put the heat on blast, making the inside warm up in a flash. I cleared my throat and pulled out of the parking lot, and headed down the road.

“My mom said, um, that I should go pick you up on saturday and bring you to the house since the streets aren’t safe.” Zane said suddenly, breaking the silence.

I looked over at him, stunned that he spoke to me and still wanted me over. He gave me a small smile before he looked down at his hands.

I cleared my throat and focused my attention back to the road. “Okay, what time?”

He shrugged and sniffed. “Six?”

I nodded and shrugged my shoulder. After that, it grew quiet again. I tapped my fingers on the steering wheel and killed time by thinking about how saturday was going to be. Before I knew it, I was pulling into my driveway.

I shut off my car and quickly turned towards him. “Zane, listen, I’m sorry about Monday…it’s just I wasn’t feeling like—“

“Its fine,” he cut me off. I gulped, waiting for him to tell me off because i surely deserved it. Instead, he looked over at me. Something stirred in his eyes, and his lips curled up into a heart warming smile. “I’ve been….a little sick this week…is all.” He said quietly.

I scrunched my eyebrows together, and studied his face. Why is he acting this way?  “I’m worried about you.” I whispered, barely loud enough for him to hear.

Zane half smiled at me. “Don’t worry about me.”

I looked down and played with my fingers with a frown on my face.  “I’m sorry if I did anything to make you mad.”

He chuckled, which made butterflies flutter inside my stomach. “Isn’t that what we do though? Get each other pissed off?” He reached over and placed his hand under my chin, and lifted it up, making me look at him. “I think it’s kind of sexy when you’re mad.” He teased, and winked.