20. The Diner

Olivia:

We got into his car and I turned the heat up immediately, trying to avoid freezing to death.

Zane chuckled and backed out of the driveway, and onto the road. The radio was low, but I could hear it well enough to know Linkin Park was playing. I smiled to myself and looked out the window, staring at the neighborhood that whizzed past us.

A couple of minutes later, I started to wonder where we were headed. I turned to Zane.  “Where are we going?” I asked.

He glanced at me and quickly faced the road, a small smile tugging at the corner of his lips. “It’s a surprise.”

I was about to protest, but I quickly stopped myself. I didn't want to annoy him; I want to enjoy this mini road trip we were on.

After what seemed like forever, we came into a small town. The houses were a little shabby, but the town itself seemed like it would be a much more comfortable place to live in instead of being in the city. “Where are we?”

“This is Fairfield.” 

I looked around curiously. “Are we still in New York?” I asked, dumbfounded.

He laughed and faced me. “Yeah, we are. I used to live here.” 

He....brought me to the place he used to live in? Why?

“I want to take you to the diner.....and here we are." He said,  pulling into a parking lot.

I glanced at the small building in front of us. There was an old sign outside saying “Lisa’s Diner” that flickered every once in a while. The place looked like a trailer.

Zane got out of the car and stretched. I got out too and enjoyed the feel of the fresh air hitting my warm face.  “This town is so small!” I finally said.

Zane laughed and walked over to me. “It might be small, but the hamburgers are the best!”

I raised an eyebrow at his claim, and grinned. "We'll see about that!" I said playfully. We walked into the diner and people smiled and waved at us. I smiled shyly at them. Wow, these people are so friendly.

“Zane!” Someone called out. We turned and saw an older woman skating over to us. She had on a retro waitress outfit that matched the theme of this old place.

“Bonnie, hey,” Zane said affectionately.

“Wow! You look so grown up! I hardly recognized you! You look so much like your mother.” She glanced at me and grinned at Zane. “And who is this girl?” she asked, placing her hands on her hips.

Zane's face quickly turned a shade of light pink.  “This is Olivia….my girlfriend.”

My eyes widened in surprise. He actually introduced me as his girlfriend? But we are around people we don't know...it's not like we have to keep acting like we're a couple since no one from school is around. So why did he say that? 

“Well, hello Olivia!” She squealed, and rushed over to hug me.

I stood there, stunned at her reaction. I hugged her back and laughed nervously.  “Nice to meet you,” I said kindly.

She sighed and stepped away from me. She turned her attention back to Zane “I’m glad you're back to visit. Now, would you guys want something to eat?”

Zane nodded. “Of course. Does Bob have those hamburgers hot?”

Bonnie grinned. “Well, yes he does. You guys can go take a seat over there at the booth and I’ll be over in a couple of minutes.”

Zane and I walked to the lonely booth in the corner and sat down. Everything looked like it came out of the 60s. It was amazing. I sat across from Zane and looked around in awe.

“This is so cool!” I said excitedly.

He laughed quietly. “Yeah, my mom and I came here every week and ate hamburgers with milk shakes.” He looked down and played with his fingers. “I miss it.”

I smiled sympathetically at him. “When was the last time you were here?” I asked. 

“It’s been about a year, maybe a little longer. I forget.”

I nodded slowly. His hands were folded together on the table in front of him. I reached over and placed my hand over his, and gave him a reassuring squeeze. He looked up at me, and his lips curled up into a heartwarming smile.

We stared at each other, and I let my thumb trace small circles on his wrist. Zane's lips parted and his eyes trailed down to my lips, and back up to meet my gaze. My heart raced wildly and I leaned forward, ready to kiss him.

“Ok, what can I get you dolls?”

We both nearly jumped out of our seats and yanked our hands away from each other. I glanced at her and gave her a small smile. Luckily, she didn't notice what just happened.

Zane cleared his throat. “Um, two hamburgers and two chocolate shakes.” My mouth dropped and I glared at him.

“OK coming up!” Bonnie left with a smile.

“Oh honey, I just love it when you take control like that!” I said in an annoying high-pitched voice.

He rolled his eyes and laughed. “Seriously, trust me when I tell you this is the best stuff!”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Fine.”

-------------------------------------------------------------

“This is good!” I sipped my milkshake greedily.

Zane laughed. “Told you so.”

I shrugged and downed the rest of it. I sat back and placed my hands over my stomach. “Ugh, I feel like I gained 20 pounds.”

Zane laughed and sat back too, placing his hand on his stomach. “Me too.” He burped and I giggled.

“How was it?” Bonnie asked. She picked up our empty dishes and smiled at us.

“Great!” I said. 

“Well great! I’m glad you both enjoyed it!” she said enthusiastically and skated away from us, dirty dishes balanced on her hand.  

“I would trip and kill myself if I were her,” I said, watching her disappear behind the counter.

Zane laughed. “She’s been working here for as long as I can remember. She’s used to it.”

I smiled and looked at him. “So, is this all you brought me here for?”

He grinned. “Nope. Come on.” He tossed a couple of bills onto the table as I stood up. He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the exit.

“You come back here again soon Zane!” Bonnie called out to us as we exited.

---------------------

Short chapter, but at least i updated sooner! Vote and comment please<3