18. Hanging Out

Olivia:

I rushed to the front door, and nearly tripped over the rug. I stood there for a couple of minutes, recovering from the moment I had with Zane in the kitchen.

I opened up the door and Candice and Tommy stood there smiling. “Hey guys, come in,” I said warmly, and ushered them in. 

“Ugh! I hate the winter!” Candice complained as she took off her her huge jacket. Tommy laughed and shook his head.

“I have snacks and stuff, but we still didn’t pick out a movie.” I smiled sheepishly.

Candice grinned and wiggled her eyebrows. “Its ok, we brought all three Back to the Futures and chips!” She pulled out a huge bag of Hot Cheetos from her purse.

My face lit up and i let out a squeal. “Awesome! I love those movies.” I said giggily and took the DVDs from her.

“You like those movies?”

I looked up and saw Zane leaning against the doorway, looking extremely sexy. His eyebrows shot up in curiosity and looked at me as if I had spouted another head. I gulped nervously and clutched the DVD tightly. Relax Olivia, he just asked you a question!

"Y-yeah, I do." I stammered.

There was a silence in the room, but thankfully, Candice broke it. “Well,” she said and took her seat on the couch. “I’m ready to watch movies and drink something warm, what about you guys?” She glanced at Zane, then me, possibly trying to figure out why I was acting so nervous.

"Sure," I said. I cleared my throat and joined her on the couch.

"I'll fix up some hot chocolate," Zane suggested, and Candiced smiled thankfully. His voice made me shiver, and I mentally slapped myself for letting him have so much control over my body.

Once we were settled with our snacks, I popped in the DVD and plopped down onto the mass of blankets and pillows I have laid on the ground. 

I was so busy munching on the chips that I didn't notice Zane standing beside me. He was lowering himself to the ground next to me, and my heart instantly raced. Calm down, calm down....

I glanced behind me to see if Candice and Tommy were paying any attention to us, but they were too busy cuddling with each other and already lost in the movie. 

I set the bag of chips down and played with my fingers as I tried to focus on the movie. Zane scoot closer to me; I could feel his shoulder grazing my own, and causing it to feel like it was on fire. My body grew stiff and I tried to control my rapid breathing. 

"Calm down, princess, I'm not gonna bite ya," he chuckled into my ear, which earned a shiver to run down my body. 

Oh my god, why is he so close to me?! I mentally freaked out, and I chose to ignore his comment because I didn't want to say anything stupid and make a fool out of myself. 

I placed my hands to my sides, and shifted my gaze to Zane. I nearly screamed when I saw him staring at me. My face flushed red, and I was glad it was dark in here. I just turned my head back to face the TV when I felt something brush against my hand.

I looked down and my eyes widened when I saw Zane's hand directly against mine. His pinky finger was placed over mine, and shifted upwards so that more of his fingers covered mine. My hand started to shake, most likely due to how nervous and worked up I was. Oh my god...

Zane's hand completely enveloped mine, which caused tingles to shoot up my arm from his touch. I slowly raised my gaze to his, and found him looking at me with a tender smile. I couldn't help but smile back.

All of a sudden, I turned my hand so that my palm was pressed against his. I laced my fingers through his and gave his hand a gentle squeeze. Wow, who knew you could be so bold Olivia!

Zane replied by squeezing my hand back gently. My heart raced even faster, and I gazed at the TV with a huge smile on my face. 

--------------------------------------

Dad came out during the second Back to the Future movie, and somehow got into a discussion with Tommy and Zane about it. It took all of my willpower to restrain myself from telling him to leave us alone.

“Its cold in here, let me start the fire up for you guys.” Dad said once his covnersation with the boys died down. He went over to the fireplace in the corner and brought the flames to life.

Zane and I were still sitting on the floor, and our hands were clutching on to each other's. Candice was curled up to Tommy on the couch. We all sighed in pure bliss as the flames created a soothing warmth.

“Night Ollie,” Dad said, calling me by my childhood nickname. He walked over to me and bent down to kiss me on my forehead.

“Mhm,” was all I said. I tried not to wipe his kiss off of my forehead.

Zane gripped my hand tighter as dad walked away and I looked at him curiously. His jaw was clenched and his body was rigid. Once my dad left the room, he relaxed.

“What’s wrong with you?” I whispered. 

“Nothing.” He said with a shrug. 

I studied him, and my eyes trailed down to his exposed arm. I saw a black and blue mark peeking out from his sleeve, and I frowned. Zane shifted his attention to where I was looking, and quickly lowered his sleeve to cover up the mark. He wouldn’t look me in the eyes.

“Zane?” I choked out. He didn’t respond. What's going on? Why does he always have a fresh bruise every time I see him?

I didn’t want to argue with him now, so I didn't question him. I sat back against the couch and laid my head on his shoulder. He flinched but quickly recovered and acted like nothing happened.

I inhaled his smell; the scent of his cologne filled my nostrils and I smiled, despite my previous discovery. I looked down at our hands and frowned. Why do I like the way our hands fit together? Why do I like the way he keeps his hand over mine in a protective way? Remember, it’s just for show. If Tommy and Candice weren't here, he wouldn't even be touching me.