12. Change

Olivia:

The next morning, I didn’t put on a lot of makeup and I didn’t wear the usual fancy and tight clothing. I wore a pair of nice dark jeans and one of my old t-shirts. Ratty....but comfortable, I smiled to myself as I slipped on my jacket and grabbed my backpack. Mom was down stairs making breakfast, which surprised me because she can’t cook to save her life.

“Hey baby, I made pancakes,” she announced, waving the spatula in her hand.

I frowned at her. “I can’t, I have to go.”

She sighed. She had powder on her nose from the mix and she looked very tired. “You ok?” I asked.

She smiled and nodded. “Yeah, I’m fine. Have a good day at school.”

I nodded, still a little worried. As I got my keys out of my purse and opened the front door,  Zane was already there leaning on his car. I jumped when I saw him.

“Ready?” he asked, as if nothing was wrong. 

How can he act like yesterday didn't happen?! I clenched my jaw and didn’t say one word to him. I started over to my jeep, almost running. Right when my hand flew to the door, he caught me.

“I don’t think so!” he said, laughing a little. I grunted and tried to get him to let me go. “You’re coming with me!” he demanded, and pulled me by my waist away from my car. I struggled and stood my ground but he had too much of a good grip on me.

“Ugh, put me down!” I yelled.

He laughed. “No!”

He dragged me over to his car and started to open the passenger’s side. I found my opportunity and  kneed him in the stomach. He let out a loud oof and I quickly escaped from his hold, but that wasn’t enough. He quickly recovered from my assault and spun around, grabbing me and placing me over his shoulder.

“Man, you’re heavy,” he complained.

I hit him on the back with my fists in defiance. "Let. Me. GO!"

He dunked down and tried putting me in his car, but I stuck my arms out and caught the top of the car. “Just get in the car!” he yelled. I laughed and pushed myself back out, but he pushed me in.

We were laughing at this point.

“Hey! Is something wrong?” We both jumped and I looked up to see our neighbor looking at us strangely.

“Um, yeah Mr. Rogers I’m fine,” I assured him, smiling sheepishly. He nodded and gave Zane another glance before he went back to his yard. Zane looked back at me, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

“You have a neighbor named Mr. Rogers?”

I burst out laughing and nodded my head. He laughed too. My heart raced; the sound of his laughter was beautiful and filled me with happiness. I want to be the only one that makes him laugh...

Our laughter died down, and we sat in silence. Fortunately, it was a comfortable silence.  “Can we just go to school?” he asked. I smiled and nodded. I let go of him and he let go of me. I turned myself around in the seat and he got in the other side.

----------------------------------------

“No I totally would have won!” I retorted, referring to our incident earlier this morning.

“No way! You were so weak!” he laughed, shaking his head.

“Says my knee to your stomach!” I grinned.