35. Pain

Olivia:

I don't remember a time when I felt this scared as I was at this moment.

I felt the breath knock out of me as I stared at the helpless boy who was laying on his stomach on the ground. Tears welled up in my eyes and my lips began to tremble as I stood, frozen in place, staring at his fallen figure wide-eyed like a deer caught in the headlights of a car.

I was as still as a statue, and suddenly, sobs racked my body. Pain sliced across my chest, making it hard for me to breathe properly.

“Zane!” I choked out, and tentatively made my way to him. 

I knelt down beside him, and watched with a horrified expression as he barely lifted his head to look at me, revealing his damaged face. My hand flew to cover my trembling mouth, trying desperately to choke back my cries. 

He groaned out in pain, snapping me out of my daze. I sat on my knees and pulled him onto my lap, caressing his head while I examined the extent of his wounds. "Oh Zane...." I whimpered while I swept his bangs away from his forehead. There was a cut that was still bleeding, and his nose and lower face were streaked with dried blood. A hint of a bruise was beginning to form on his cheek and eye. Who did this to him?!

"Olivia..." Zane's hoarse voice called out. 

"I'm here..." I cooed, wiping a tear away from my face. He stared up at me, watching me intently.

"Don't cry, i'm fine," he assured me, and reached up to catch a stray tear that fell from my face. I made a weak attempt to smile, but failed. 

"Come here," he whispered, trying to lift his hand but was too weak to do so. I bit my lip and leaned down to hear what he was going to say.

“You sound really sexy when you’re scared.” He said softly into my hear. I quickly snapped my head back up and glared at him.

“You idiot! How can you joke when you’re practically dying on my floor?!” I yelled a little too loudly, making him wince.

“Ow,” he mumbled, managing to raise his hand to rub the side of his head. I smiled sheepishly and patted his arm.

We were both quiet now, the mood suddenly turning somber. I watched him while his head rested on my lap. His eyes were now closed, and I could see the steady rise and fall of his chest with every breath he took. Who hurt him? Who could do this to my Zane? 

My mind ran wild with thoughts, trying to figure out who was behind Zane's predicament. What if Grant did this...? I scrunched my eyebrows together, deep in thought. I tried to make a list of reasons why Grant would want to hurt Zane, but I couldn't think of anything. I don't even think he's jealous of Zane and I being "together". Maybe he thinks Zane and I have broken up?

Then, Scott's face flashed in my mind and my body instantly went rigid. Chills ran down my back, and goose bumps rose on my skin. It was Scott who did this. I just know it! My stomach churned and I looked back down at Zane, getting teary-eyed again.

“Zane?” I whispered and placed my hand on his cheek. He sighed and leaned into my palm, but didn't open his eyes. “You need to stand up and I'll take you to the couch, okay?” He didn’t move or respond. My heart was pounding. Is he dying? Should I call the ambulance?

“Come on! Crack another joke. Do something, please!” I begged. Finally, he let out a groan and moved his head to the side. I gently slid his head off of my lap and stood up. I braced myself and pulled Zane up with me. He was so weak; he was practically using me as his crutch.