43. Broken Promises

Olivia:

"Thanks for the ride," I said, hopping out of Candice's car and shutting the door behind me. I didn't make it very far up the driveway before she called out to me. I slowly made my way back to her car, propping my elbows at the top of the car door, lowering myself so that I can look at her. "What's up?"

She stared at me for a couple of minutes, as if she were searching for some hidden clues in my face. "I know who that 'friend' was," she started, raising an eyebrow. "Why were you hugging your ex-boyfriend?"

I sucked in a quick breath, caught off guard by her question. Damn, I was hoping she wouldn't ask. I lowered my gaze to my hands, playing around nervously with my fingers. "What are you talking about...?" I murmured, hoping she would think she misunderstood.

I heard her snort and I looked up at her, catching her rolling her eyes. "I'm not stupid, Olivia. People talk. You didn't tell me who your ex-boyfriend was, but I found out." She gazed at me with concern. "I know you're hurt because of Zane-" I flinched at the sound of his name "-but you shouldn't do foolish things because you're hurt. You'll only end up hurting yourself, and others, around you." 

I bit down on my lip and shook my head. "You have it all wrong, Candice. There's nothing going on between me and Grant. He hugged me because I broke down in front of him. I seriously wasn't expecting him to do that." I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. "Don't worry about me, I won't do anything stupid. I'll think rationally, even though I'm not one-hundred percent okay." I flashed her a weak smile.

Her face displayed sadness and concern after what I said. "Olivia, I don't know how it feels to go through what you just went through but.....I'll be here for you, always." She reached out and placed her hand over my own, which I just noticed was shaking. "I'm sure Zane will come to his senses and realize what a huge mistake he made."

I fought the urge to cry and forced a smile to my face. Yeah, like that will happen. "Thanks, Candice. You're the best friend a girl could ever have." 

Grant:

I sat in class, restlessly watching the clock that was above the board. It was the last period of the day, and I wanted it to be over with already. I was tired of hearing people gossip about the Zane and Melissa incident, which was what my classmates were currently doing instead of working on today's assignment.

Rumors were already spreading that Zane was having an affair with Melissa while he was with Olivia. Some of those rumors were exaggerated and far from the truth. Well, I don't really blame them. No one knows the truth behind the incident, no one but those involved.

Olivia's heartbroken face instantly flashed into my mind. I squeezed my eyes shut, willing myself to erase that image from my head. It was painful to witness that in person; picturing it was just as bad. Stupid Zane, how could he hurt her like that? I clenched my hands into fists, now picturing myself punching the bastard's face in.

But, I couldn't help feeling guilty over the fact that I had some part in it too. It wasn't a coincidence that I was there to save Olivia when Melissa kissed Zane. I was told to stall her, to talk to her so she could see what Kendra had planned for her. If it wasn't for me, Olivia wouldn't be in pain right now. 

No....It's not my fault she's in pain. It's Zane's fault. He was the one who agreed to kiss Melissa. Well, he didn't know Olivia was going to be watching, but still! If he truly liked Olivia like he claimed he did, he wouldn't have agreed to kissing her. He hurt Ollie, and I'll make sure he never goes near her again!

My thoughts were interrupted by Daniel, who was currently screeching like a wild animal. I playfully punched his shoulder. "Dude, shut up."

He nudged his elbow into me. "Stop being a dick. If you knew why I was being so loud you wouldn't be shutting me up."