Chapter Six

Chapter 6

Arabella Baine

“Hello there,” an elderly woman greeted as she pulled me into a warm embrace. I closed my eyes, loving the feeling of her warmth. It felt so good, just like how her hugs felt.

“Hi. My name is Arabella,” I pulled out of the hug, welcoming the cold once again. I put on a blank façade, not wanting to get closer to anyone anymore.

“I’m Beatrice. The Pack’s main cook and helper,” her eyes smiled with excitement as she looked over me.

“Take her to the basement,” Rylan ordered, breaking me out of my thoughts. “She is not to be treated like a guest, but as one of the maids.”

“My, why is that Alpha?” His gaze shifted from me to Beatrice. She flinched, seeing the hostility written all over his eyes.

“Do not question me. She is Grant’s daughter. She will be my personal maid from now on. I expect you to tell her all of the rules. I am telling you now Arabella, if you were to ever break one of them, I won’t hesitate to punish you. Now get out of my sight.”

I nodded and had Beatrice lead me down the basement. “Please don’t take it too personally. Alpha Sauron has always been like that.”

“I know. I’m used to it,” I shrugged, looking at the dingy basement. What kind of mate would do that? Send his mate to live in this dingy, dark and creepy place?

“I’m sorry,” she murmured as she switched the lights on and motioned over the tiny cells. “This is where you will be staying for now.”

“It’s okay,” I looked at the tiny cells and sighed.

“I believe that you have packed bags waiting in the hall. I will fetch them. In the meantime, try to get a feel of the… Room. There is a conjoined bath in there somewhere,” she turned and l headed into a clean one. To say it was clean was an absolute lie. At least it was one of the only cells that have managed to smell… Less funky.

“Here you are,” Beatrice came with bags in her hands. “Now for the rules, Alpha Sauron expects each and every one of his maids to be up early. The latest would be around seven. Every morning, he expects his bath to be ready and his clothes to be picked out. The maids do not eat with the rest of the pack. Your daily chores will be posted in the maid quarters. You will not be allowed to eat dinner if you don’t finish all of your assigned tasks. You cannot talk to anybody unless they first initiate the conversation. Alpha also expects us to acknowledge him as Alpha or sir. Do you understand dearie?”

“Yes ma’am,” I looked over her to see her sad smile. “If you don’t mine me asking, why are you content with being a maid? I mean… Why not just move to another pack?”

Her eyes turned dark as tears threatened to escape from them. “I was in the same situation as you, dear. I…I…I used to be the Alpha Female of the Stellar Pack. This was my family’s pack house. It was my great grandfather’s idea to build these cells in here. I am sorry my dear. If only I’d known…”

“I’m sorry,” I pulled her into my arms, loving the feel of her warmth.

“No, I am,” she looked at me worriedly before sighing out, “I know Alpha Sauron… You sacrificing yourself won’t stop him from taking over your pack. He is so hell bent on forming the strongest pack and defeating Alpha Baine.” I flinched at the sound of my father’s name.

“Why would he go through all the trouble, just to defeat him?” I asked. She looked down and shook her head.

“I can’t tell you that. You have to figure it out. I’ve said too much,” she let go and set the bags onto a small bed. “Dinner will be served soon. We will be serving he pack tonight. Put on the dress and I’ll come down in a few minutes to escort you into the dining hall.”