Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Arabella Baine

I checked with the wounded pack members, checking on the casualties and whatnot. The doctors have thankfully noted me of no deaths on the Grant pack. I cannot say the same for the Baines.

“Luna,” a child cried out, running to me. “You’re alive!”

“Of course I am, Lilian,” I smiled as the all too familiar bouncy, brunette curls came into view. I opened my arms and let her hugged me tightly.

“Oops, the baby,” she pulled away, rubbing my stomach soothingly. “I hope I didn’t hurt him.” She cautiously stepped back, looking at the ground in shame. Her cute gestures made me laugh, causing me to wince in slight pain. I’ve probably bruised a rib or two, but it was nothing big.

“Don’t worry my sweet,” I knelt in front of her, tilting her head up for her eyes to meet mine. “The baby is fine.  Can feel him playing inside my tummy.” Relief washed over her eyes and was quickly replaced with excitement.

“Can I feel him kick? Mumma made me feel her tummy when Lulu was kicking. It looked so funny too,” her eyes danced with happiness as she giggled. “But after Lulu came out, I couldn’t do it anymore. Can I feel him please?”

“He’s not big enough for that,” I kissed her temple tenderly, hearing a throat clearing in the background. I straightened myself before meeting his topaz eyes. “Lily darling, I think that your mum is looking for you.”

“No she’s not,” she giggled innocently before looking over Rylan. “Mumma told me to call you. Said it’s impotent.”

“Impotent? Don’t you mean important?” Rylan cut in, watching Lilian frown slightly.

“Yes! That word,” Lily bounced, taking his large hand in hers. Rylan’s eyes grew wide, watching Lily tug on his huge fingers. “Come! Mumma is waiting!” She tugged me along too.

I kept my eyes down, not wanting to meet Rylan’s questioning gaze.

“Mumma!” Lilian shouted, clinging onto her mother’s leg.

“Hello Leslie,” she gave me a sad smile before pulling me into a tight hug.

“Oh Luna,” she gasped out. “Little David is fighting for his life.”

“What?” I pulled away quickly, searching her face for any sign that give off that she was deceiving me. The poor boy was the best we’ve got.

“He was instructed to watch over Ella when it happened,” she whispered, clinging onto Lilian.

It couldn’t be. Damn it. Children and women were instructed to stay indoors. The poor child has suffered enough in his life. “Where is he?”

“Right this way,” she guided me towards the children’s infirmary.

“Oh gosh,” I choked out at the sight of the wires and tubes attached to the once perky and energetic boy lay motionless, barely breathing. “What happened?”

“Beta Jake ordered him to stand with Ella while he sorted something out in the Sauron pack house,” she breathed out, stroking the boy’s pale cheeks. “He was there when they attacked. He defended her just like he promised.”

“I’ve always known he had a fight in him. He’s make a great Alpha,” I murmured, lightly kissing his forehead.

“He doesn’t deserve any of this,” Rylan whispered, looking at the little boy with horror and sadness in his eyes. “He doesn’t…”