Chapter EightPointSeventyFive

Scene starts off after Rylan dismisses everyone from dinner. 

Chapter 8.75

Jake Firenze

I walked around her tiny cell, shaking my head in disapproval. What in the hell was Rylan thinking? His mate has just gotten hurt and yet he chooses to blow off and slap her! Arabella was too kind for her own good.

Her tiny footsteps sounded off the stairs. I waited under the dark. The moon light shone against her fiery red hair, giving it a lovely glow.

 “Are you alright?” I looked at her, my eyes landing on her arms.

“I’m fine. You’re the Beta of this pack and I’m merely a servant. Please don’t try wasting your time or pity on me. I don’t need any of it,” she hissed coldly. My heart really went out to her. I reached out for her arms. She looked at me as if she was having an inner battle with herself.  I softly touched her arms and looked over the gauze pads.

 “I don’t pity you. I’m just concerned. Our Alpha may not seem like he cares about everyone under him, but I do. Remember that, Arabella,” I looked into her brown eyes, wanting nothing more than to peel the contacts off. I really thought her green eyes suited her well.

“Thank you, Beta Jake,” she smiled, causing my lips to twitch up into one too.  

“You’re very welcome Miss Arabella,” I involuntarily reached out and touched her soft cheeks. To that, she blushed slightly. The creamy red tint of her cheeks caused me to chuckle. “Alpha Sauron is truly missing out. I’d kill to have a mate like you,” I wish he’d realize what he has before you disappear too.  I wanted to add in.

I dropped his hands and closed the cell. “You don’t deserve to stay here… I’m sorry,” I whispered as I locked it. She was the Alpha's mate! She deserved to be treated with respect. She deserved a luxurious room all to herself, not some dingy cell. I handed her the keys. “I don’t want any of our… Mateless members to try taking advantage of you.”

“Thank you,” she whispered back, giving me her dazzling smile again.

“You’re welcome,” I bid her farewell. “Good night, Bells.”

Bells? What the hell. Now I’m giving her nicknames. There was something about her…

Her eyes held too much pain; it was visible for everyone to see. I wanted to ask her but I knew she wouldn’t tell me. And her eyes! Why is she hiding those gorgeous eyes from us?

The biggest revelation of them all was her inability to shift into a werewolf. Wasn’t she supposedly a daughter of Eli Grant? The Alpha of his own pack? Was she really his daughter?

One thing is for sure, I won’t stop until I find the truth.

I walked back into my room and slept all my worries and questions away. I needed the energy for tomorrow. Training a bunch of wolves can get very tedious.

As soon as the sunlight hit my face, I got up and started to work. Rylan wanted me to train the runts. The members of the Stellar Pack. At first they were stubborn, but they had known that I meant business. They started to shape up and listen to my commands.

At the end of the training, I was truly bushed. All I wanted to do was bathe the smell of dirt and sweat off my body and sleep.

But of course, fate had another thing in stored for me…  

My heart thudded against my chest irregularly as I caught a glimpse of her.  I walked into my room and looked over her once again.  Her beautiful red hair cascaded down her back.

“Hey Bells,” I said while casually strolling into my room.

 “Hey Jake,” she looked over my bin and took out the trash. “Do you, by chance, know whose room this belongs to?”

“Why, this room is occupied by yours truly,” I laughed as I plopped down onto my bed. “I like cleaning after myself. Having maids is pretty pointless. It just makes people lazy,” I stared at her, trying to figure her out. “I’m trying to figure out who you are… There's something about you that I’m really not sure about… It’s like you’re hiding a big secret.” I felt my eyes narrow before a laugh erupted from my chest. She looked really funny when she looked nervous.

“Good luck with that,” she took the bag and walked up to my door.

“I will take that as a challenge. I will decode you and figure out that big secret of yours,” I pushed the door back closed and looked at her. I tried to use my dominance… But that failed.

“Decode me? Good luck with that. Don’t try using your powers on me, Beta Jake. I can’t shift; therefore my human side is more dominant. I will not submit to you,” Damn it. How could I have forgotten? She wasn’t a part of this pack nor was she able to shift into a wolf.

“I love challenges. I’ll find another way. Have a good day, Bells,” for a brief second, I thought about kissing her full on the lips. I shook those thoughts away because I respected Rylan. I went for her cheek instead. “I always win challenges, Bells. Remember that.”

“Cocky wolves nowadays,” she mumbled low enough for me to hear. I laughed at how adorable she looked.

Arabella was no ordinary she-wolf. She had the senses and the healing abilities, but she cannot shift. I’ve also noticed how she was used to this life. We’ve turned many members of the Alpha family of different packs into maids and servants. All of which whined endlessly and failed miserably at their jobs. On the other hand, Arabella took everything that’s thrown at her… Even her abusive mate.

There must be something she’s hiding… She had this aura… Others may not be able to sense, but I can. It may be the fact that Rylan is her mate, but I cannot miss that powerful aura surrounding her. It’s slowly building and I’ve come to conclusion that one day, it will burst! It will burst open and cause her to shift, hopefully. I need to go to the experts for this.

A wonderful image popped inside my mind as I closed my eyes. Her glowing red hair, softly flowing down her back. Her emerald, cat like green eyes. They were so captivating… Just like…

Not mate…’ My wolf whimpered. ‘Miss mate!’

Sadly,’ I whispered back. ‘Me too… I miss her so much…’

I felt my heart clench at the thought of mates… They were supposed to be forever…. They were….

An uncontrollable sob escaped my mouth as my wolf grieved along with me. Why did it have to be me? There were many wolves that were blessed with great mates. Mates who were there for them no matter what and they took advantage of that.

I have treated her with the utmost respect and love. I was ready to sacrifice my position as Beta for her! I would’ve done anything to make her happy. I gave her my all and that didn’t matter. They took her away from me.

Now I’m starting to develop some feelings for my best friend’s mate.

Fate truly has its ways of fucking with me. 

-------------------------------------END OF CHAPTER 8.5------------------------------

Tell me what you thought about this chapter! (:

What do you think could've happened to Jake's mate?