Chapter Three

Albus Severus Potter was always destined to fall in love with Scorpius Malfoy. It's just that no one would've suspected and it's still not a reality. The reason behind it being Scorpius' obsession with getting Rose to fall in love with him.

    Jealousy was hitting Albus hard. He wanted love. He didn't know he also wanted Scorpius.

    When the Hogwarts Express pulled into Hogsmeade Station, the two friends exited, following everyone else up to the carriages. They could see the Thestrals this year. Unlike a lot of other students. It was mildly terrifying, being reminded that you'd witnessed death. But it always stuck, you could try to shake away those thoughts, but alas, it was impossible.

    Albus desperately wanted to kill Delphi. He didn't know what he actually saw in her, really. But instead, she was locked up in Azkaban. As his father told him she should be.

    When they hopped onto the carriage, Rose got on as well. Normally, she would stay clear of Scorpius, and for that reason alone his smile was miles wide. He almost looked like the Cheshire Cat.

    "Hello Rose," Scorpius said. You could practically hear his smile as he said her name.

    She ignored him. But that didn't keep his smile from fading.

    And continued to wear the smile all through the ride up to Hogwarts. It didn't even fade when the two friends took their seats at the Slytherin table, earning some scowls from a few of the other students.

    Even though it was their fifth year, and everyone should be through with the rumor and the fact Albus was a Slytherin, their hatred didn't ease. Not for one moment.

    It made Albus mad sometimes. But Scorpius was always there to calm him down. He would sit with him on his bed and ramble. Albus loved hearing his rambles. But just like earlier in the compartment, he was off.

    "She sat with us," Scorpius said as the feast began. The two piled their plates with as much food as the plate could fit. Some of the food even leaked over the side of the plate, and that didn't even matter to the two boys.

    "I saw," Albus replied. "And heard. You practically shouted her name at her." He began shoving forkfuls of food into his mouth, finally noticing how starving he actually was.

    "Really?" Scorpius asked. "Maybe that's why she didn't reply."

    "Or maybe she just doesn't like you," Albus said in a whisper. Scorpius didn't hear him so he asked his friend to repeat his words. Albus pretended he didn't say anything.

    Scorpius left it alone. For the second time today.

    Albus didn't want Scorpius to see how much he cared. But he wanted him to keep asking until he spilled his guts. The question is: how do you tell your best friend you're in love with him?

    And that you have nightmares of him? And that every time that each other touch, he feels like his whole body his burning up? That's not something you can just say. Not to anyone. Especially not to Scorpius.

    "Albus, you seem off today. Are you really alright?" Scorpius finally asked. Albus almost let out a sigh of relief and thankfulness.

    "Yes, completely and totally fine," he replied. Scorpius didn't seem convinced. But he didn't push him. Like a real friend should. They would ask repeatedly until they received an answer that seemed fit enough for them.

    "I know you're not okay. It's perfectly fine not to be okay," Scorpius finally said just as the dinner plates cleared and dessert arrived. "I'm always here if you need me."

    Need? Need? Albus NEEDED and WANTED Scorpius.

    He was absolutely lovestruck. Lovesick, maybe.

    The two finished up dessert quickly, just like the rest of the students in the Great Hall. Everyone was exhausted. Tired of the day, tired of the train ride, tired of life. Albus was tired of life. And Scorpius was full of it.

    The two headed down to the Dungeons with the rest of the house, learning the password and practically crawling into their beds. Sometimes it helped when you heard the waves of the Black Lake above you when you headed off to bed. Tonight it was just another annoying sound, like the chirping of cicadas.

    "Goodnight," Scorpius said as he pulled the silk, green cover over him. Only his head and his blond hair peeking out.

    "Night," Albus replied, also covering his body with his cover. He didn't feel like saying the entire word. Saying the entire word felt like it would take away all the air in his body and leave him dry. Saying 'Goodnight' almost felt like saying 'I Love You' at this point.

    It was stupid.

    Albus felt stupid.

    Everything he was thinking felt stupid.

    And that's how he fell asleep on the first day of his fifth year at Hogwarts. Feeling stupid, annoying and not good enough for anyone.

A/N: Shorter than usual.