CHAPTER 3

CHAPTER 3
K POV:

I stand up and follow him as he quickly leaves the room and walks into a small office looking room a few feet away from the main dining area for lack of a better word. I have my wand close at hand just in case, as he offers me a chair by the fire. I sit down as he gets a book off the bookshelf and sits in the chair across from me. He flips through it for a few minutes before he looks up at me and smiles softly. If I was confused before I am absolutely lost right now.

"I would hazard a guess that you are a well skilled witch for your age. Perhaps even skilled in Legilimancy or Occlumency?"

"Legilimancy sire, and I'm an animagus."

"Most Dhampirs are skilled witches and wizards, it's like having extra magical boost in your blood. Who are your parents?"

"My mother is Elizabeth Harrison and my father is Steve Harrison of the US Ministry of Magic."

"And your maternal grandparents?"

"I never knew them sire but they were Edward and Barbara Banks."

"What of Barbara's mother?"

"I believe her name was Dinah Smith."

"Your grandmother's mother was Dinah Harris before she was married I believe. I always wondered where she went to, I suppose I know now that she was in America."

"Sire how did you know her?"

"It's quite a long story my dear, but it may explain why you were born this way. If you care to hear it tonight."

"Yes, please sire."

"Very well my dear, but from now on I insist you call me Aleric."

Aleric begins telling me about his life, his whole life it seems. He was born in England in the year of 1293 to a poor family. He attended a small magic school and was able to become a fairly successful wizard, pulling his family out of poverty as he did. However, he was wild and foolish and soon got himself into trouble with a vampire. Trouble that resulted in him being turned at the age of 33. He lived the first few decades in isolation and anger over what had happened, until he found others and they formed a clan with one another. But one night in 1503 he stumbled upon a lost witch in the forest.

"She cried and begged me not to harm her and the only thing I could say to her was 'You're the most beautiful creature I've ever seen.' Which of course did not calm her down at all."

He eventually calmed her down after talking with her for several hours and helped the witch back into town, kissing her on the forehead before he left her. A few nights later he was hunting in the woods and came across her again, only this time she had brought him a book of poetry since he had told her he used to read poetry every day as boy.

"It became a ritual for us. Each night I would meet her in the forest by a tree that we said was ours and I would read poetry to her. A few years later, 1507, when she was older and I was virtually the same I asked her to marry me. To my delight and surprise even to this day she said yes."

I smile a bit at that as I realize that I would react the same if George ever asked me to marry him. I feel myself twist the ring around my finger as I think of him. Aleric continues saying that a year after they wed his wife gave birth to a daughter, and they named her Gwen. They had plans to turn her, his wife, after another few years but she was killed by a pack of werewolves during one of the feuds. I watch as tears build in his eyes but they don't fall, mine however do and I struggle to collect them quickly.

"Gwen you see was born a Dhampir. She struggled with it for a long time, never seeming to truly belong anywhere. She was a witch too, and went to a small magic school much like I did. She was extraordinarily talented young witch and an animagus. But she was unhappy with what she was for years."

I nod my head in understanding, knowing that I still struggle with those same feelings even now. He talks about how Gwen met a young wizard though and feel in love. She married him and decided to stay mortal rather than be changed to a full vamp and live longer. She gave birth to a daughter, named Helena, who was also a half-vamp somehow. Helena in turn gave birth to a daughter that was half-vamp named Rosemary. Gwen passed away in 1608, she was 100. Helena passed away at 98, in 1636. Rosemary lived the longest at 102 and passed away in 1670.

"Rosemary's children were all born as normal humans, but I still had contact with them for many years. The last living descendent that I had kept track of was Dinah before she left the country back in 1920 I believe it was."

"So Dinah was your, great-great-great-great-great-great-granddaughter?"

"I believe that is what you would be my dear, that's one too many greats."

"Did.....did you know when you met me?"

"No, not until you said your parents were both human."

"So I was born this way because it's in my blood?"

"Yes and no. You were born this way because it is in your blood, but only because your body responded to your mother's distress when she was bitten and absorbed the venom through her blood. You saved your mother in the womb from becoming a vampire, and instead became a half-vampire."

I can't find words to answer him right now. All my life I've blamed myself for the way that I was born and the way that I am but he's telling me I saved my mother on purpose. I wasn't even born and I was already putting myself in some sort of danger to protect the ones I loved. I can't help but laugh a bit at this and he smiles at me.

"Well granddaughter, it is almost sunrise, allow me to show you to a room with a view. Though we can all enjoy the sun for brief time periods, you'll find that most of us prefer to sleep and simply wake at night."

He stands and once again I follow him out into the hallway and into a small bedroom with light blue walls and a giant window where I can see the sun climbing over the neighboring mountain. I turn back and see him smiling gently at me. His black eyes are warm and welcoming, something I never thought possible in a full vamp and I can't help but to smile back at him.

"Thank you Aleric for everything."

"It is nothing my dear. I only ask that we talk later of the alliance. Take a few days to rest, enjoy the castle, and perhaps talk to some of my clan. They are all interested in talking to you."

"Of course. Goodnight."

"Ah good morrow I believe is the correct expression right now my dear. I will see you in a few hours."

I smile as he walks out and shuts the door quietly behind him. I walk over and look out the window and smile as I begin to think that maybe this won't be as bad a summer of traveling as I was thinking.