Chapter 18

George's POV:
Later that day (early evening)-----------------------------------------

"Has she still not said anything?"

"No mum, not a word. She's just cried all afternoon. Mum what do I do? This is all my fault."

"George dear don't get upset. I believe this is rather all my fault. Your father and I talked in the kitchen before you went upstairs to get her and I'm not that mad about the bite mark. I'm just upset that my little boy is growing up and becoming a man. I only hope you can both forgive me."

"Mum, you know I do and she will always forgive you because she likes you and loves me. But I'm more worried about snapping her out of this."

I see mum give a sad small smile before giving me a short hug and leaving the room, heading into the kitchen. I look at the clock and see that it's almost 6 o'clock. The full moon rises at about 8 tonight, and she'll need to hunt. She needs to at least move at this point. But all afternoon she's sat curled up in a ball on her side, facing the wall or the back of the couch. She won't even look at me and when she does it's like she sees something else because the sobs just get worse. I feel tears start to build in my own eyes as I look at her and prepare to plead with her one last time.

"Kitty please come back to me."

I wait a few moments and her response is only another quiet sob into her hands. I decide to do the only other thing I can think of. I scoop her up as gently as I can into my arms, and carry her upstairs to my room. I lay her down on the bed, laying next to her as I do. I lift her head up and force her face towards mine. Recognition flashes through her eyes as she looks at me and I watch as tears continue to fall onto her beautiful face. She tries to pull her face away from me but I kept a gentle hold of her face as I look at her.

"Katherine Mary Harrison. Listen to me please. I don't care about what happened in Transylvania. If you think for one moment that I'm going to break up with you for something like that you must doubt my love for you. I would never, never leave you for something like that. Bloody hell Katherine, don't you know how much I love you?How much seeing you like this kills me?!? Please just, say something. Anything. Love, I need you."

"D-didn't you see w-what I did?"

"Love that wasn't you."

"Y-yes it was, it's m-my worst fear c-come true."

She finally manages to pull her face away from my hand and uses her speed to escape to the corner of the room before she tucks her head toward her chest and she continues to cry. She truly believes that she is the monster she saw in the mirror but she is the furthest thing from a monster she could be. I stand up off the bed and walk over, kneeling down in front of her. The tears and the sobs escaping from her break my heart and I plead with her one more time.

"Katherine please look at me, it wasn't you and you know it."

I watch as she finally looks at me and the tears in her eyes continue to form. She closes her eyes for a moment and I watch as she vamps out. She reopens her eyes as she looks back up at me and I see her now red eyes looking at me with a pleading look. I watch as she bites her lip with her fangs as she watches my face, looking for fear or rejection of some kind. She's bracing herself for a heartbreaking reaction from me as she stares into my eyes.

I don't give her the satisfaction though as I lean forward and kiss her as passionately as I can. She freezes for a moment before responding a bit. I pull away from her after a few seconds and she curls closer into my chest. I pull her into my lap and rub her back as I rock her gently. Her sobs becoming silent tears as she wraps her hands in my shirt and begins to fall asleep. I begin to stroke her soft curls as her tears begin to dry up and only then do I look at the clock on the wall. 8:05, moon's up.

"Kitty, don't you need to go hunting tonight?"

As relaxed as she was becoming a few seconds ago, she is now wide awake with new fear in her eyes as she looks at me. I see fresh tears start to build in her eyes but they don't fall. She looks up at me and quickly shakes her head as she answers.

"NO! No, I'm....I'm not thirsty George I promise. Please just let me sleep here with you instead please."

I was prepared to argue with her about not drinking tonight, with Viktor's warning that she needs to drink every full moon to keep up her strength. If she's trying to punish herself this way, it won't work because I won't let her do that. I started to argue this point to her but the pleading and broken sound of her voice makes me forget his warning for a bit. I just want her to be happy. I gently pick her u of the floor and lay her down on the bed again, before joining her.

"Alright Kitty, we can just sleep here. Now go to sleep. I love you."

"I....I love you too."

I kiss her gently on top of the head and watch as she slowly closes her eyes again, falling asleep on my chest as she does. I watch her carefully for a few minutes to make sure she isn't going to have a nightmare while she's here, but her face remains calm and peaceful for the first time in hours. I need to write a letter to Krum and see if we could stay with him and go to one of his matches next week or so. I think Kitty needs a serious break from summer after all this. Plus he might know how to snap her out of this new attitude of hers if I can't. I feel myself start to relax and close my eyes, just as Fred comes rushing into our room.

"Oi, George you awake?"

"Yeah, but Kat's asleep so shut it mate."

"No can do mate, you're gonna want to hear what's happened. There's about ten order members here already, and more to come in the next hour or so."

"What for? No meeting tonight."

"Nope, but something happened to Harry."

"Looks like a time to try out the extendable ears." (F&G)