Chapter 40

Kat's POV:

I'm honestly surprised that he asked to talk, usually he's too busy too, but I agreed and followed him to his room. He held my hand as we sat on his bed and looked out the window toward the lake, with the full moon shining brightly above it and reflecting on the water. I heard him take a deep breath before he turned his head to look at me and I find myself wondering what he's thinking about now if not the joke shop.

"I'm sorry I haven't really been there for you this term Katherine." (G)

"It's fine George. It couldn't be helped I suppose." (K)

"No love, it could have been I just got sidetracked." (G)

"I know. It's alright George." (K)

"I need to tell you that Fred and I, well we think we might leave school a bit early?" (G)

"Early how?" (K)

"Well, we're ready with most of our joke stuff and we have a building that we bought in Diagon Alley that we just need to fix up. So we don't think we're going to finish out the year. I wanted to know if you wanted to come with us?" (G)

"Are you insane?" (K)

"Course not love. But think about it, we don't really need anymore school. We have the joke shop and that's always been the dream hasn't it? So why not just go for it now, more school isn't going to help." (G)

"The joke shop isn't my dream though George. It's yours and Fred's, not mine." (K)

"What? Course it is Kitty. We've been talking about it for months." (G)

I feel realization set in as I stand up from the bed and walk over to the window. I stare at the moon, the curse and the comfort that it brings me weighing down on my mind and my thoughts. I think about the last few months between George and I, and even though it breaks my heart I realize that we don't know each other anymore. Or at least he doesn't know me anymore. I turn back toward him and see him staring at me with concern from the bed.

"When was the last time you asked me what my dream was?" (K)

"It was.......surely we talked about it a few times and it was the joke shop right?" (G)

"No George it wasn't. I want to work with magical beasts, not in the joke shop. I even applied to an internship this summer at a magical beast hospital of sorts in Bulgaria." (K)

"Bulgaria......so you'd rather spend your summer studying bowtruckles and other stupid beasts while getting even more chummy with Krum than working with me?" (G)

"The beasts aren't stupid, but I'm beginning to think that we were to think that we could ever be a serious couple!" (K)

"Yeah, well now I'm beginning to think the same thing!" (G)

"Well then we should call off the engagement now then!" (K)

"Alright fine!" (G)

"FINE!" (K)

Without thinking through my actions I took my ring off and flung it towards him before stomping out of the room and up the dorm stairs to my own. I felt tears finally fall from my face as I laid on my bed. Then I heard the shouting start from Fred and Scar both directed towards George. On a normal night their insults towards him would make me laugh, but tonight it only tells my heart what just happened actually happened over and over again as I cry myself to sleep.

George's POV:

I hadn't spoken to Katherine since that night we....we broke up. I tried approaching her a few times in the great hall and in class, but my feet always seem to lead me the opposite direction or my mouth opens but no words come out. All I've been able to do is watch as she gets worse and worse with each passing moon phase. Fred still calls me a git every other day, but hasn't yelled at me about the break up anymore at least. Scar is a different story though, and if looks could kill I would have died by her hand several times already.

I had decided that tonight though, I would talk to Katherine even if it killed me. I spot her sitting in the corner smiling as she reads through two different letters. I walk over and cough a little, watching as she slowly puts down the letters, her smile fading a bit as she looks at me. I watch as her blue eyes fill with sadness as she looks at me and I sit across from her to be able to look into them easier.

"Hi." (G)

"Hey." (K)

"Good news I take it?" (G)

"I got the internship and Vik said I could stay with him rent free during it this summer." (K)

"Good for you. Knew you and precious little Vikki would make the perfect couple one day." (G)

"Don't call him that." (K)

I wasn't in control of my own mouth anymore as the jealousy took over, and her defending him just seemed to make it worse. I stood up just as she vamped out and stood as well. I can tell that her anger and her weakened state caused her to vamp out, and I almost apologize until I see the anger in her eyes.

"Why not!?! Afraid the poor little seeker will get his little feelings hurt?" (G)

"You have no right to poke fun at him, when he could be twice the boyfriend you were if we started dating!" (K)

"Yeah well it won't be hard for me to find a someone that would be twice the girlfriend. All I need is a normal witch that isn't a bloodsucker and ta-da, twice the girlfriend!" (G)

We both freeze at the words that came rushing from my mouth and I know now that there isn't anything that I can do to take them back. I watch as her face crumples into a look of pain before it's replaced by anger again. I step towards her to take her into my arms to apologize but she backs away from me before speaking through clenched teeth.

"You really should open that joke shop, because you George Weasley are nothing but a joke of a wizard." (K)

I felt my face grow red with anger this time as she calmly picked up the letters and walked away from me in the common room. I look around and realize that everyone in here right now was watching and listening to the whole argument and I must look like a stupid git right now. I spot Fred shaking his head at me in the opposite corner of the room while Ginny flicks me off before rushing up the stairs after Katherine. I guess I can be grateful that Scar wasn't here to yell at me or kick me in the balls as she said she would do next time I hurt Kat.

I walk up the stairs as the whispers in the common room start up and I feel the hate for my stupid mouth grow as I lay down on my bed. I really am a stupid git for saying that to her. I promised her I didn't care what she was, and now it's as if I broke all those promises and then some. But the fact that she called me a joke of a wizard doesn't lessen the existing anger, and I'm not even sure where it came from at this point. Maybe she was right, maybe we just can't make it as a serious couple.