CHAPTER 9

CHAPTER 9
K's POV:

It had taken a day or two for me to adjust my sleeping habits to match those of Alerics' but now I'm up at sunset and then asleep at sunrise. I'm sure that will be wonderful to fix before school starts. Yippee for me. Dumbledore owes me big favor after this. We've been traveling through the Transylvanian countryside now for a week and a half. It's July 29th, and the Order meeting is the 31st if I make it back in time.

Aleric had warned me that this clan was harder to find than his but I thought maybe he was exaggerating. He wasn't. We've been sprinting through this forest now for a few hours and I was thinking maybe this clan was gone at this point until Aleric froze a few feet in front of me. He holds up his hand and I tune in my hearing and then I hear it, someone's approaching us and fast. Aleric is by my side with his arm around my waist in an instant, when two young men step out of the shadows of the trees into the moonlight.

They look around their 30s, but that's not what startles me. Unlike the vampires in Aleric's clan they have bright red eyes and the only scent I smell coming from there is death. They both hiss at me but stop when they see Aleric. The both bow slowly while watching me closely as they approach us.

"Aleric, vhat are you doing ere vith that thing?"

"We are here to speak with Talan and this is my granddaughter of sorts. Won't you show us the way Nickola, Rumple."

I watch as the one that spoke gives a curt nod and then starts walking at a fast-paced human speed. The walk is silent and I'm reminded of everything that Aleric told me about this clan. Dhampirs are little better than muggles, and if I don't watch my tongue and my actions it could very well be my life on the line. My only positive right now is that Aleric is well known by most if not all vampires on some level, simply because he is so old. He is my only safety card right now, and I'm clinging to him for all I have worth while trying to keep my face blank of any emotion.

We soon walk up on a castle in the side of a mountain and I instantly see why it's so well hidden. I only thought Aleric's castle was in the middle of nowhere, this is the definition of nowhere. The castle gives off a cold, eerie, death vibe and I feel whatever color I may have had in my face drain away quickly. I feel Aleric squeeze my waist in comfort as we walk in behind the two other vampires.

We walk into a dining hall, like Aleric's in shape, and up to the high table. A cruel looking vamp of around 30 with dark black hair and red eyes looks at Aleric before turning to glare at me. I can only assume that this is Talan, as the glare is soon replaced by an evil smirk.

"Aleric, old friend. Nice to see you again. You brought me a rare snack I see."

"Talan. This is my granddaughter, if anyone touches her I will rip their head from their shoulders."

"I did not realize you still had feelings for those.....offspring of yours. How.......pitiful."

I feel Aleric stiffen beside me as Talan speaks in his clear, sharp, accent riddled English. Talan smiles as he see Aleric stiffen and even laughs in a clear harsh laugh, clearly trying to insult Aleric on purpose. He then turns back to me and smirks again as he stares.

"Well.....Dhampir......to what do we owe this pleasant surprise? It's not every day that the Clan of the Dead see such a......mistake of a creature as yourself."

"Good Evening Lord Talan. My name is Katherine. I have been sent by Albus Dumbledore to seek an alliance with the Clan of the Dead with the Order of the Phoenix, against Lord Voldemort."

"Ah Voldemort is back, I had heard already haha. Well then, suppose that means London is about to go to hell. But tell me.....what kind of alliance is it again?"

"We wish for the Clan of the Dead to stand with us against Voldemort and fight."

"Hmm........now why does this sound so familiar......aha! I have it now. We were offered an alliance of a similar nature the other day by a wizard. Rumple, fetch our guest won't you."

I watch as Rumple smirks some and then hurries from the room. I only see a few other vampires lingering in the room but I know that there are others lurking in the shadows no doubt. Talan is staring at me again, but this time he is taking in the rest of my body as well and I can't help but think he seems pleased, and I don't think I want to know why even though I think I do. The way he says Dhampir reminds me of how Malfoy says mudblood.

"You know.......you may be a mistake of a creature but you have the body of a vampire goddess don't you? Your offspring can produce them well Aleric. Tell me though Dhampir, are your eyes always silver or do they change after you've fed?"

"They have always been silver I believe."

"Hmmmm how odd. I have only met two Dhampirs but their eyes turned red when feeding, and after a while stayed that color. Though they were turned a few days after, so who's to say it wouldn't last on you even if you remained in your....lesser state. I suppose you see us a monsters when we have red eyes instead of black?"

"I think a monster is made based on actions not on appearances."

"Hmmm yes well we got our red eyes through our actions didn't we hahaaha? Tell me Aleric, what was your response to her proposal for an alliance?"

"My clan and I decided to respectfully decline to both sides."

"Respectfully decline. Always the English gentleman with you. Ah there you are Rumple, I was worried you stopped for a snack."

Aleric and I both turn toward the vampire and watch as he drags a young man, no older than 19 or 20 across the floor. One look at the robe and the mark on the man's wrist and I know he's a newly branded Death Eater. One that will never make it back to Voldemort with an answer. I look in his eyes and I see the fear, surprise, but also the hatred. The last thing I notice about the man is the multiple bite marks going up his arms and his neck. The stench of his blood all over his robes and I realize that their using him as a feeding source, and I force myself to not throw up.