Chapter 40

We were engaged. Oh God! We would get married! We would be husband and wife! With kids! A real family! And all this in less than a year! I have never been that excited!
For just a short time, I could forget about my mom and be happy.
A weird thing was, that I started getting close friends with Marissa as well. After the time in the hospital, she came over to see if we were fine and we started talking a lot. She soon got a boyfriend, so I didn't worry about her and Aaron anymore.
Everything was perfect. If my mother wouldn't be ghosting around.
One night, I've already been pregnant in month seven, I heard the door open by night. I startled and tried to wake up Aaron, but he was asleep too tight. "Aaron! Aaron, please, wake up...!" I started shaking him and he groaned quietly. "Aaron, please! There is someone in the apartment!" He opened his eyes and looked around. "Huh...? What....?", he asked confused. "Aaron, there's someone in here.", I whispered. He shot up and pushed me down on the bed. "Stay here and don't move.", he whispered and pulled the blanket over my head.
I heard him leave the room and then loud knocks and bangs from outside. I rolled into a ball and stroked over my stomach. I heard steps coming closer and started shaking.
God, please let it be Aaron!
The blanket got pulled away and before I could even see who it was, I started screaming on the top of my lungs. "Shh, shh!" I felt a hand on my mouth and soft lips on my forehead.
Oh thank God...
"It's me, it's me. Shh, don't worry.", he whispered and took his hand from my mouth. "It's fine, I will call the police and they will get her out of here.", he said and kissed my forehead again. I nodded slightly and Aaron left to call the police. I slowly got up and walked into the living room. My mother was laying on the ground, her skin seemed even more grey than before and she lost more weight. She laid on her back, her eyes were closed, I wasn't sure if she was still alive.
"Hey.", I heard avoice behind me, making me startle. I turned and looked at Aaron. "What is with her?", I asked quietly. "I hit her with a book.", he whispered and laid his arms around me.
Some minutes later the police arrived together with an ambulance and brought her away.
Would it be over? Were we finally free? I really thought we would have gotten rid of her, but I had no idea what she was planning...