Chapter 42

I couldn't help myself and cried out loudly. No, it was more a painful scream than a cry. A loud, painful and almost endless scream. "Scarlett!", Aaron next to me shouted and looked at me. "Scar, what is it? What happened?!" The tears started to pour down my cheeks and I pressed my hand on my stomach. "Scarlett, what is it?!", Aaron asked again. "The twins.", I breathed in pain. He looked at my stomach and back at me. "The twins. It's time...", I whispered in pain. Aaron's eyes widened and he quickly got up.
He lifted me out of bed and carried me outside to the car. He sat me inside, got inside himself and rushed to the hospital. Again I felt this pain and cried out again. "Here.", Aaron said and reached out his right hand. "Squeeze it. Squeeze it as tight as you can.", he said and looked back at the street. I took his hand and squeezed it tightly. "Good, go on like this. You can do this.", he said and stroked over my hand with his thumb.
Again I squeezed his hand, oh God this pain was horrible.
How could I ever make this?
"Breathe, Scar. Breathe calmly.", he said, as we arrived at the hospital. He quickly got out of the car and carried me inside.
"Aaron, what-?"
"Marissa! Call Doctor Brooks, quickly!", Aaron said and kissed my forehead. "She has contractions. But two weeks too early.", he explained. Marissa nodded, then she led us into a room. "I'll be right back.", she said and left. Aaron laid me down on the bed and kissed my forehead again. "Aaron, I can't do this.", I said quietly and looked at him. "Shh, of course you can! Scar, you are strong, you can do this.", he said and kissed me gently.
I grabbed his hand and squeezed it again.
Then Doctor Brooks, Marissa and another woman came inside. "Well, Scarlett. Seems like your twins can't wait to be with you.", Doctor Brooks said smiling. "Good, that you're already wearing a night gown. Now please put your feet here, so I can see how long it will take.", he said and I did as he said. Aaron stroked over my hand with his thumb and my hair with his other hand, trying to calm me down. Then the midwife changed places with Dr. Brooks after some time. She looked at me and nodded.
"Okay, now push!"