Chapter 52

"Hey, hey, easy!", Aaron said and caught me, as I tried to walk into the apartment, tripping over my own feet. "Don't rush it, we have time.", he said calmly and helped me up.
"But..."
"No but.", he said and helped me inside. "Scarlett!" Aaron's mom came toward me and hugged me carefully. "How do you feel, honey?" I smiled slightly. "I'm fine. I still feel a bit pain, but I'm glad that I could go home." His father hugged me as well and smiled. "We're glad you're fine. It's been a horrible week, when you were in hospital."
I didn't look at him, but I could feel, that Aaron's body stiffened. "But now you're home. I'm sure the last week in the hospital wasn't easy for you either.", Posie said. "No, it wasn't. I barely could move. I had to talk to an police officer. But the worst part was, that I couldn't see my speckles." Tears started to fill my eyes.
Not seeing your newborn babies for two weeks is probably the worst thing for a mother. I just wanted to hold them, squeeze them, kiss them, the entire day, but it was too dangerous for them.
Suddenly I got ripped out of my thoughts by two loud screams. My head shot up and I looked at the door of their nursery. Aaron laid his arm around me and kissed my cheek. "They missed you.", he whispered and lead me to their room.
"I missed them, too..."
He opened the door and I quickly rushed over to their beds. George was laying in Natalie's, as they were holding hands, but still screaming and crying. Tears trickled down my cheeks as I carefully lifted them into my arms. "My little speckles.", I whispered and kissed their heads, making them calm down right away. I smiled widely and kissed their heads again. "I missed you so much. I swear I will never leave you again." They cuddled to me and I cradled them carefully.
"They love you very much, you know?" I looked at Aaron and smiled widely. "Only as much as they love you.", I said and kissed him lightly.
His parents soon said goodbye and left.
I took the twins into our bedroom, laid them next to me and smiled at them. Aaron laid down on the other side and kissed their foreheads. "Did they smile already?" I asked quietly. "Not yet. They're taking their time.", Aaron explained. I smiled slightly and stroked their cheeks, when they suddenly opened their eyes.
My eyes widened as they looked at me and their mouth corners slowly started to pull up.
They were smiling!
"Seems like they just needed their mommy.", Aaron said and smiled widely.
Tears of happiness rolled down my cheeks and I started kissing their heads at least a million times.
They fell asleep again soon and so did Aaron and I next to them.