Chapter 17

The Team

We walk out the office smiling and laughing coach hill was a very nice lady from what I seem so far "so Michelle you are a senior correct ?" "yes ma'am" she smiled at me "I use to have a accent but I've been staying in the city for too long now so it kind of just wore off" I start to laugh. "Hopefully that won't happen to me" "yea I kno hopefully" I look at Davon and smirk coach hill looks back and forth between us "is this a Monica and Quincy thing or strictly friends" I laugh because I wasn't expecting that question. And she thinks like Davon. I just look at Davon as he looks at coach "hey wassup wit yu nd coach white huh !?" coach hill started laughing "oh okay Mr. Stewart I see" as she patted his back. We get out to the gym and Davon goes on the other side that's divided. "Before all the girls come in I want to do a little shooting workouts with you is that okay ?" "yes ma'am let me just put my shoes on" we walk over to the other side and coach puts all her things down and her hair in a bun. "Alright I'm all ready to go". We walk over to the court and I take a deep breath "let me know when your ready" I stretch straight down trying to calm my nerves. I run to the right as If I just came off a pick "ball !" A good hard pass directly into my hands. With no hesitation I release for the net. I quickly move to the left and find my spot "ball !" Two in a row. I move into the center at the three point line "ball!" now that one was wet. So far I'm on a 3-0 streak. I finish the whole outside not missing one shot. God must have been on my side "Ms. Michelle, I am impressed ! You have perfected the timing, releasing, everything. Mr. Stewart didn't let me down!" I was very excited that the coach found so much interest in me.

The team starts to arrive looking as if I was new meat but I didn't want to be looked like that way. The way they looked down at me was like a challenge. Once we warmed up we got a pick up game started the captains picked their friends, and then left was me and the people who thought they could ball. Coach Hill immediately came over "okay who's first captain and second captain ?" two tall girls raised their hands. One was brown like coach, had her hair highlighted with brown streaks, braces, and a big butt. She was pretty on a scale of one through ten, I would give her a solid seven. "Jamika and Drika here" Jamika was the brown one she got a red pull over practice jersey that they always hand out in gym that nobody ever wanted to wear. Drika was just a big beast. Dark, fat, short hair, big teeth, ugly but is a very sweet girl. She received a blue jersey. Coach did a head count "you come here" she said as she pointed to this girl with a shirt longer than her shorts. She walked over to coach as she turned to the side to tell her something. "Michelle go on the blue team" as she threw me a jersey. The pick up came starts and I'm playing as if this is a real game because these females feel as though they have a guaranteed spot. I can be aggressive and demanding when it comes to my sport.

At the end of open gym she called everybody over in a circle for announcements and to dismiss as a family. We all gathered in a circle touching feet as coach was in the middle. She joined the circle "Allison lead us in a closure". Allison got in the middle as we all got in a closer, smaller circle and we locked our arms together "everybody bow their heads" everybody did as asked. She said a closing prayer as we said amen then yelled family after.

I was walking over to get my bag and put my sweats and everything on "Michelle I need a word with you" coach walked over to meet me "yes ma'am" "I really loved what I seen and I really liked how easy it was for you to adapt to our family and the plays being played and I'm very excited for the upcoming season only if you will be interested in joining us" I was shocked at the opportunity that I was given "wow thank you so much of course I would love to play more with the team" coach smiled and shook my hand "I see so much in you that I can't wait to do a project. Follow me to my office so I can get your paperwork and everything". We go in the back and she gives me papers to fill out. Most of the paper is saying I'm allowing the school to send my information to colleges and that they are allowed to contact me and record me to make tapes. It takes me about 20 minutes to feel everything out. During me signing everything I find out a lot about coach and her story of making it to the top. She played all four years in college staring for UNC then got drafted and was picked third in the second round pick. She played two years in the WNBA with the Florida Flames (Made Up) but she had a back injury that caused her her career. Every since then she been a P.E teacher and a coach. While we are talking Davon comes in all with sweat all over his face and his shirt. It kind of turned me on. "how y'all ladies doin ?" coach smiles so hard "Mr. Stewart I can't thank you enough" he starts to laugh I see him from the side and see his vampire teeth and his deep dimples he laughs which makes me smile "I told yu coach we family I can't set us up like that !" he looks down at me "yu bout done ?" I sit up and get my bag and he comes and gets it. Coach Hill smiles "I love you guys friends or not" Davon laughs "I love yu nd coach jus go head nd marry tha man" she laughs "that's a lot to deal with" we laugh because she sounds sexual with it. "Alright coach Ill see yu tomorrow" "Coach thank you so much for the opportunity" "no problem just make sure you come by tomorrow so I can talk to your old coach to get all your athletic records" "yes ma'am". Deep down inside I wanted to cry and thank God because this was a blessing because of her position of knowing everybody in the college recruiting department. We walk out "how yu think yu did cutie ? I wish I culd see yu get nasty on em bitches" "I played like it was my last" he put his arm around me "we play everythin pick up game or not like its our las. That's why we number one" this boy is so cocky when it comes to basketball "oh I'm droppin one of my teammates off but imma drop him off first" "that's fine, it's your car do as you please" he looked at me and licked his lips "oh is that right ?" I give him a half smile "nasty". We walk to his car. "yo come on were yu nigga ? .... Ok come to tha trash can by tha doors when yu leave out.... forreal hurry up bruh" He hangs up and looks at me "we gonna wait here for this nigga for a lil is that fine wit yu ?" "yea that's fine". We talking and waiting "Its freezing ! oh my gosh" "why yu ain't say nothin ?" he took off running leaving me standing there. Five seconds later he brought me his coat. "Awe thank you Von that was so sweet of you" "no problem I don't need yu out here gettin sick" I give him a hug and he just holds me. Right now at this moment I could be in this position all day, all night in his arms. Both us sweaty. For about five minutes we stand there "man this nigga takin forever lets go" we walk towards his car "YO YO D !" We look around and keep walking "nigga why u Finna leave me cuh ! I thought we was boys sahn" "boy jus get yur ass in tha back". As he gets closer I realize his boy we are giving a ride to is AX.