Chapter 20: My Guardian

Kanbe took it upon himself to show me what Mitsu brought me to see. I saw Mitsu's glare shoot daggers at Kanbe who deflected them with his indifference. I just held Mitsu's hand and smiled, which seemed to calm him down.

When Kanbe opened the door and we walked inside, there were walls, drawers, and hangers full of clothing. Not just any clothing, but kimonos of what seemed to be every color, and garments only a princess would wear. I was breathless at the sight that all of those garments and jewels were for me.

I placed my hands over my mouth and looked at Mitsu with teary eyes.

"What are you waiting for?" Mitsu asked me, placing his hand gently on my cheek. "Pick one, and meet me in the courtyard once you are wearing it."

"Actually...well..." I nervously fiddled with my fingers. "I don't know how to wear these."

I spent most of my life in rags, and my only decent clothes were my gunner's clothes I got from the Saica faction. I felt embarassed as they looked at me.

"Can you send for Auntie? She is with the Maedas. She'll help."

"(Y/N), you are the successor to Lord Hideyoshi. Wearing clothes like these will be essential to your status." Mitsu explained.

"What's wrong with what she's wearing? She looks fine in that." Kanbe instigated, like he only said what he did to get a reaction out of Mitsu. But Mitsu decided to just glare at him instead of wasting his breath.

"I'll send some troops for your aunt. But the Maeda territory is a ways from here." Mitsu explained. "It will take a few days."

"Okay, thanks Mitsu!" I embraced him tightly, my arms around his neck. He slowly reached his arms around my waist, like he was unsure or something. Probably. I finally let go when I caught glimpse of something simple, that may not have needed complex dressing.

"What if I wore this?" I asked. Picking up a short but flowy one piece dress in (f/c). It had long sleeves and looked comfy.

"That? There's nothin to it!" Kanbe criticized.

"What do you mean?? It reaches my knees!" I shot back, holding the dress against my body to show him.

"Mitsunari, where did you even get this?"

"I will have you know, it is made of the FINEST silk, and I just wanted her to be COMFORTABLE!" Mitsu yelled in anger. He was trying so hard to put up with Kanbe for my sake, but it just wasn't working.

"Well, Thank you, Mitsu, I love it. Now um..... Both of you leave so I can change."
___________

I was able to put on the dress, and found some black thigh high socks while I was in there. They had cute little silver stars printed on them.

Though I assured that it wouldn't take me long to put on a simple garment, but it did indeed take me a while. I didn't really know how clothes worked.

I joined Mitsu in the hall, but Kanbe wasn't there. Mitsu stared at me while I looked around.

"You didn't murder him did you?" I chuckled.

"I wouldn't, I know you like him. Besides, if I had, I'd be hiding the body. Probably in the river where no one would find him."

"Whoa.." I looked at him.

"He went to get your family. As leader of the team I sent. He didn't want you to know, but I don't take orders from him."

"Oh..."

"That dress suits you." He complimented me, before quickly looking away. I smiled.

"Thank you." I replied softly.

I realized that since Kanbe had left, this gave me some alone time with Mitsu. It made Me a little nervous, but excited too.

We were eating our evening meal in the courtyard under the bright full moon when we heard screeching in the distance. I stood up from the mat we were sitting on and and looked up, the direction I had heard it from. Surely enough, there was a crow flying towards us and it was probably from sensei.

I held my arm out for the crow to land on and noticed a small scroll tied around its neck. I opened it and read aloud:

"Little Raven,
We were successful in our battle at Itsukushima, Motonari is defeated. He is a threat no more. However, Yoshitsugu escaped, leaving Motonari to distract us. It is unknown where he is or where he is headed. Please keep your eyes open.
Sensei."

"Damn it all.." Mitsu began, slamming his fists on the ground. "It always has to be something, doesn't it."

"Hm?" I hummed in confusion.

"Finally, we get some time to ourselves without that baffoon. THEN what?! I can't have a moment, ONE DAMN MOMENT, of peace with you before SOMEONE destroys it!"

"Aww Mitsu, I didn't know you felt that way." I held his hands, trying to make eye contact yet again.

"I looked for you...my whole life I looked for you, and now that you're here SOMEONE wants to take you from me! I will KILL anyone who dares step foot in this castle with the intention to do so!"

"You'd do that...for me?"

"I will protect what is mine."

I didn't quite know how to feel. I felt happy and secure with a mix of anxiety. I didn't want Mitsu putting his life on the line for me. I knew now more than ever that I wanted to be near him.

"So..he could attack us at any time. I know now that you wanted a moment alone, so let's just take what we can get, until blood must be spilt."

"...you're right." He sighed. "You were always good at calming me down." He admitted and held my hand a little tighter.

We finished our meal and went inside, Mitsu once again carrying me, since my feet were too pure for the ground...even though I was wearing shoes. I really didn't mind being carried by Mitsu, however, I could have stayed in his arms all night!

Mitsu brought me to my room, setting me down gently. "I am going to do some rounds. I'll be back soon."

"Mitsu...can't it wait? I wish to be in your arms just a little longer."

"...as you wish." He sat next to me on my bed, pulling me to sit on his lap then leaned backwards. It was cozy in his arms.

He reached his hand around and began playing with my hair, entangling his fingers within its lockes. I felt his cold fingers trace my neck to my ears a few times. It sent shivers like tiny shocks throughout my entire body. I gasped from the sudden tickle.

"(Y/N)." Mitsu said in almost a whisper, before I felt warm soft lips on my shoulder, then my neck. I was very sensitive there!

"M-Mitsu..?" I stuttered and gasped at the same time. "What are you...?"

"Protecting what's mine." He answered before romantically placing his lips on mine.

(A/N): ooh is it getting heated in here? Feedback appreciated! See you next chapter!