prologue

Third Person POV (just like the first book, this prologue will be in the third person POV, but the rest of the chapters will be your POV)

"What do you mean you can't stop it?! If these memories aren't correctly extracted then we'll never be able to defeat the grounders!"

Doctor Tsing ignored the selfish protests from Cage Wallis, despite being aware of the truth to his words, and tried ever-so-desperately to stop their device from extracting the memories of the unconscious teenager laying on the bed before her. Their aim was only to take those memories that involved the whereabouts of grounders they weren't aware of, or any information that could be useful in taking down the Grounder clans, but something had gone wrong, and now the teen's memories were all getting wiped.

The doctor's hands moved rapidly across the dashboard, and her eyes raked the monitors that contained the vitals of the girl: Y/F/N. Their first attempt at extracting just one memory had been successful, but now they were in a critical situation; if Tsing couldn't stop the erasing of Y/N's memories, then this whole assignment would have been for nothing, and Y/N would be useless to them.

BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

"What is that?!" Cage complained, attempting to compete with the blaring alarm that was ringing throughout the room. His hands were covering his ears to block out the loud noise, but it was pointless because the alarm was built for the sole purpose of being heard no matter what.

Doctor Tsing ignored his complaining and bit her lower lip, her eyes intently focused on the monitor before her. She knew that the alarm meant that the subject was in a critical state and needed to be taken care of, and it frustrated her because she now had the constant reminder that she needed to hurry in order to stop the extraction from being complete.

She raced from one side of the room, past a whining Cage Wallis, and to the other side. Her eyes scanned the information on the screen that was flashing intensely with bright red warning colours. There were no wires or tubes attached to the teen, so there was no physical way of detaching her from the system. Any connection she had with the machinery was her fingerprint and DNA samples, which Tsing now regretted choosing to do.

"I can't stop it," she gave up, rushing back to her other monitor to see what the percentage was reading.

Memory extraction is 98% complete...

"You can't give up!" Wallis fired back angrily, joining her side and glaring furiously. "If we lose her memories, we will only be back where we started!"

Seeing Tsing making no more attempts to fix her mistake angered Wallis, as they were both pretty much now waiting their for the extraction to complete and all of their hard work to be lost. But despite the many acquired skills that Wallis possessed, working with electronics wasn't one of them, so he knew he was beat.

The blaring alarms and flashing red lights all came to a halt just as the monitor read the very thing that nobody wanted to see:

Memory extraction is 100% complete.

***

"Lexa, I think you should get some rest now–"

"No," Lexa growled lowly, and flicked her wrist in Titus' direction. "I want to be left alone."

Titus hovered by the door, feeling reluctant to oblige the Commander's order and leave her by herself. Ever since Y/N had been taken, gone missing, ran away – whatever it was – Lexa hadn't stopped searching for her. If the Commander wasn't physically out in the woods, searching for her loved one, she was sending search parties off, or she was preparing plans to search for her. Either way, she was going through a lot of resources to track down the one she lost only a month ago.

"As you wish," Titus responded halfheartedly, before leaving the brunette by herself.

After hearing the heavy door click shut behind her flamekeeper, Lexa released a deep breath, feeling all of her walls crumble down. She looked down at the mini battle plan she had build on her desk. It included every part of the woods that she knew, and the waters surrounding. Several areas had been searched over ten times, and there were still so many other areas that needed checking. But there was only so much time she had, and so many grounders that she could spare.

The woods were a dangerous place, even for the most skilled of warriors. They contained dangers that most were lucky to escape alive, which was exactly why Lexa had to be careful how many grounder search parties she sent out. As much as she wanted to find Y/N, she knew she had to be wise and strategic about where to search and who to send. There were still regular hunting parties that needed to be executed, so she couldn't send search parties out all the time.

Seeing the amount of land that still needed to be searched on her mini plan overwhelmed the green-eyed girl, and caused her to stand back and take a deep shaky breath. She raised her hand to move her hair from her eyes, only to stop and realise that she was trembling. Everything she was feeling on the inside was now beginning to reflect on the outside.

Deciding it would be okay to take a small break (something she rarely did nowadays), she took a seat on the couch, collapsing with exhaustion. She craved sleep, but she craved the feeling of Y/N more. She just wanted to hold the younger girl and tell her how much she loved her, but she couldn't. And the worst part was, she didn't even know why.

Many theories had circulated around Polis, and Lexa had many of her own. The silliest one was that Y/N had ran away, which Lexa knew was anything but true. The one that Lexa considered the most was that the Mountain Men had taken her. She didn't understand what they could possibly want, but she considered it. This wasn't a helpful scenario though, because that meant that it would be almost impossible to get Y/N back; the Mountain Men had the power to wipe the grounders back if they showed even the slightest bit of rebellion, so Lexa had absolutely no idea what she could do if this were the case.

Sick of wallowing in her own sorrow, Lexa reached into her pocket and pulled out the slightly-crumpled photographs of herself and Y/N. A sad, longing smile automatically graced the lips of her as she recalled the time when they were taken. It felt like an eternity ago. Ever since Y/N went missing, Lexa had carried the photos with her at all times; it helped her to feel close to the girl that currently wasn't there, and whenever she was feeling sad, Lexa would look at it and feel slightly better.

"I promise I'm coming for you," Lexa whispered, her teary eyes staring directly at the smiling picture of Y/N.

She didn't like to think about whether the girl was still alive or not – she could only pray that she was. She didn't like to think about whether the girl was harmed, either. She would only focus on finding her because she made a promise to keep her safe, and Lexa always kept her promises.

//

HEYYYY! Firstly, thanks for all the lovely comments on the epilogue of Frozen In Time! Even though I haven't had chance to respond to every comment, it does mean a lot, so thank you!

Secondly, you all wanted the sequel so here it is! What are your thoughts based on this prologue? Also, before anybody asks, yes, this book will definitely feature the Sky People :)